Transom rebuild

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I stated before I am rebuilding a 20ft Bass Buggy pontoon...The transom is still ok but I figure while I have this boat torn down I should go ahead and replace it.
The existing transom is 1 1/2 inches thick. I have plenty of left over 3/4 in plywood from the deck boards..My question is....Do I need to glue the plywood with the grain running opposite each other or since it is plywood and is several laminates already is that necessary? I hope this makes sense!

Thanks

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Transom rebuild

It doesn't matter for the reason you stated. Use slightly thickened epoxy (using wood flour or even scrap saw dust).

quantico

Cadet

I built my own transom of 1/2 inch aluminum welded into the well. It is way strong and never will rot away or get weak. I rebuilt the supports of grade 8 steel and added a lot of hardened hardware so I would be able to add some more engine on when funds will allow. I really like the aluminum idea, but the wood parts will likely last 15 years or better with any care at all. I would prime them and paint them and maybe run a thin layer of epoxy putty around the bottom where the wood will be close to the water..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do like to turn the grain when i built a transom. i have made transoms out of 1/2 inch outer pieces grain one way, middle the other. i have had good luck using Pl 100% polyurethane, to laminate the pieces. then either paint or glass.