Rebuild or Replace Alpha I Generation I

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a leaking Alpha I Generation I lower unit, wondering if it would be worth rebuilding or replacing. Took it to a mechanic and he said prop shaft was worn from fishing line and needed to be replaced, resealed, or both. Note, I'm looking into buying used if worth it, but looking at options that could be easier than having a lower unit apart in my garage or paying to have it replaced/rebuilt by mech.
The unit acutally leaks right at the prop shaft seal when it comes out of the bearing carrier, yet just slightly, enough to cause problems in my opinion. I do understand that there is a special tool needed to remove the prop shaft, just looking into any options. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

freak007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rebuild or Replace Alpha I Generation I

SEI has a much better price ($695 + ~$50 shipping) and a much better warranty (36 months, no fault)... That is th route I was going to go when my lower went out... but then I discovered I needed a new upper too... so now I am ordering a whole new SEI outdrive for $1195... if you shop around you can even find them with free shipping...

SEI Website