what's the proper way to tie up?

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all.

I will be taking my son on our first weekend fishing trip next month and I have a boat slip reserved at the campground where we'll be staying. I have 2 fenders and 2 dock lines (15' I think).

What is the proper way to tie the boat up and do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice
Re: what's the proper way to tie up?

BTW, as I'm assuming the method may vary by boat size/type, my boat is a Key West 1520 which is a 15 footer.

Thanks

Splat

Lieutenant

Drop fenders over the side pull boat in.

Attach dock lines to mooring post, rings, or cleats depending on the dock.

Do yourself a favor and learn a few good mooring knots and be able to tie them. Simply wrapping the line around a cleat a few times doesn't cut it when leaving the boat for a period of time.

Leave enough room for the boat to move a little off the dock, but not forward into the dock(you don't have fenders up there)

After you tie your knots, coil your rope neatly so it's safe and out of the way for walking.

A boat hook can really help too if your not used to pulling into a slip.

Let me see if I can't find that page again with all the animated knots on it.

Bill

Splat

Lieutenant

You can use a standard bowline knot, like this one
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlin...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

This is normally what I use to moor my boat, round turn and two half hitches
http://www.animatedknots.com/roundt...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Just in general here's a list of good knots you should know when boating.
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexboating.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Bill

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Two fenders and lines should be OK if the slip has a walkway on one side only. If the slip has a walkway on each side of the boat I would use two fenders on each side and four lines.

Will you be on a lake or river?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Here come the opinions!!! There will not be one proper way to do this unless you knew ahead of time how the boat slip is configured. Also, what about the tidal drop and rise. Fenders on one side, fenders on both sides, no fenders??

So far the last three answers have all been correct, depending upon your particular circumstance. Best advice is from splat on the proper knots to use. God forbid the boats not there in the morning!

So, go there prepared for all the above circumstances. So what if you have a couple extra fenders with you. And best advice could come from someone else on site who has mored there before. There is not a one of us who doesn't mind being asked for a little help. I am sure they would be happy to oblige. And hope that you and your son have a great experience. :)

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all very much for the informative replies. The boat will not be in tidal waters... it will be in a boat harbor on Long Lake in Maine.

I will show up with more dock lines than I need and more fenders than I need just in case. I already know how to tie a bowline... I will learn the others.

Thanks again
Jay