Grinding going in reverse.

cwooley

Recruit
I'm new here but sweet site tons of info. I just purchased a boat with a 2005 mercury 90 hp 2 stroke. Going into foward is great with no grinding or anything but when i go to reverse it grinds a little. Any suggestions on what to try and do? Would there be any adjustment in the shifting linkage that needs tweeking? Or could it be something different? Thanks in advance for any info.

gregpro50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Grinding going in reverse.

It may be just a shift cable adjustment. Try lengening the cable a bit.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Do no ease it into reverse! The design is either in gear or out of gear. Move the lever swiftly and smartly into gear. Same applies shifting to forward.

cwooley

Recruit

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will mess with the cable tonight and see if it helps.

sdudley

Recruit

I too have a Mercury 90 2 stroke (2005) with this noise on a Triton SP175. Mine is getting worse as of last night. Mine is doing it in forward now, but only at 1100 or less RPM it was only reverse for a while. I called Mercury (last year)and they said that they are aware, but it doesn't affect the function of the engine. I will try the shift adjustment as well to see if happens... I am running a turning point prop..13 1/4 x 21. alum. I at firsti thought that the prop weight was the problem but I don't think that this is a weight problem...It has been a year it's still happening, but motor runs good so far..

Last edited:

j_martin

Admiral

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will mess with the cable tonight and see if it helps.

Don't mess with the cable. Get the manual and check it's adjustment.

One of the fastest ways to wreck a LU is to misadjust the cables.

hope it helps
John