Do I trim up engine when docked or keep down?

Peteski1618

Recruit
I'm new to boating. It seems to me that it would be a good idea to trim up the outboard (115 hp Mercury 4 stroke) to keep it out of the water while I am docked to avoid corrosion and "stuff" forming on it. However, I never see anyone else doing that. Is it better to keep it fully down in the water or pick it up? Thanks for your help!

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do I trim up engine when docked or keep down?

Definately trim it up unless you're in a cold water freeze area.In that case they keep them down so they don't freeze the lower unit.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on the boat. Can you get the engine COMPLETELY out of the water by trimming up? If not, leave it down. If you trim it up and have some of the motor still in the water and the "zincs" out of the water, the part of the motor that is in the water is unprotected and subject to corrosion.

Peteski1618

Recruit

Now I'm really confused. One says up and one says down. What does that mean, the "zincs out of the water"? Shouldn't there be more corrosion if it is left IN the water than out of the water? Thanks for your help.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the zincs are sacrificial anodes meant to corrode instead of your motors' metal.They prevent galvanic corrosion which is caused by 2 different metals in salt or fresh water.They won't work if they're not in the water.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Often you will see boats that have tilted the engine up but it is not completely clear of the water. If the "zincs" are out of the water and part of the engine is still in the water, that part that is still in the water is subject to corrosion and will not be protected by the zincs.