90 hp 2002 no spark

poppajohn63

Cadet
I have no spark on any cylinder.

I have the factory manual and it says (pg 111) to disconnect the port Packard connector and see if there's a spark now and there is.

The manual says the problem is in the stop circuit.

It then says to check the black/yellow wire to ground with an ohmmeter. I did and with the key on I get low reistance and with the key off I get high resistance. The is the way it should be but I still get no spark when the Packard coonector is reconnected.

I'm confused - can any body help me?

thanks,

John

khes142

Cadet
Re: 90 hp 2002 no spark

I own the same motor, and had the same problem. It sounds like you performed the keyswitch lanyard test(black/yellow wire), and it passed. I would first just buy and install a new optical timing sensor. It is easy to install and is a known weak link on the OIS ignition system.It is about $50 and there is no absolute correct way to test if it is OK...even with the oem test device. If that does not correct the no spark, you must perform the oem tests per the manual. All the other ignition parts are VERY expensive, but can be tested to some degree of certainty with a DVA adapter and an ohm meter.I bought the DVA adapter for my fluke meter and performed the manual tests. The results showed that the fault was the sensor or the powerpack.I bought both parts as a kit, through the internet from seiler marine, because I needed the motor running in a hurry. It turned out that only the sensor was bad in my case. Good luck.Seiler marine is a small shop, but has the best prices by far. Good luck.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

DONOT BUY any sensors, that is NOT your problem.

This is a ground to kill system, ANY continuity to ground will affect the ignition/spark.

You do have spark once the Packard connector is disconnected which proves that the ignition system on the motor IS functioning correctly.

Your problem IS in the 'Kill Circuit', either in the ignition switch or in the lanyard switch.

Since the packard is unplugged you will be testing the black w/yellow to the solid black ground wire either at the boat side of the packard connector or at the ignition switch end of the harness.

Make sure that the lanyard is plugged in, disconnect the ignition switch, now retest the black w/yellow for continuity to ground, if none then GOOD, if any, then bad lanyard switch.

Plug the ignition switch back in, turn to the on/run position, retest, if no continuity then good, if any, then bad ignition switch.

poppajohn63

Cadet

There is no separate lanyard kill switch. The lanyard attaches to the key switch. We have NEVER used the lanyard and teh engine has run fine since 2003.

Does that change anything?

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no separate lanyard kill switch. The lanyard attaches to the key switch. We have NEVER used the lanyard and teh engine has run fine since 2003.

Does that change anything?

Sounds like the kill switch is working now!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well if, it has run with out the lanyard in place something was wrong. it was either disconnected, or stuck, which it could have come unstuck, or the wire that was disconnected could be grounding.

poppajohn63

Cadet

Turns out that the black/yellow wire had a high resistance short to ground ( 20 meg-ohms) and this caused the power pack to think that the key was off when it wasn't. I ran a separate wire from the console to bypass the black/yellow and all is well.

Interestingly the boat is a 16 foot Whaler and the engine doesn't have more than 150 hours on it and still something went wrong with the cable that goes through the tunnel.

Didn't cost a cent to repair because I had the wire on hand. Of course if you counted the hours I spent finding and fixing the problem there would be a different bottom line.