Outboard steering issues

bert0168

Cadet
I have a 69 Chris Craft with a 100 HP Johnson outboard. A previous owner installed a Teleflex steering wheel which I think is too small. Unfortunately I don't have dimensions as the boat is at the shop now.

I seem to be having problems with hard steering at low RPM's. The boat steers better at WOT on plane. I was wondering if it is an issue with the wheel being too small vs. the torque produced at lower idle or if there could be a problem with the internal cable. I am not sure if it is even possible to pull the cable out of the sleeve to lubricate it. It is a mechanical system.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I should check out first?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard steering issues

disconnect the coupling at the motor, turn each, if the cable has a tight bend, it makes it stiffer to turn. there are no ways to lube the cable.

bert0168

Cadet

disconnect the coupling at the motor, turn each,

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "turn each"

It is possible the cable makes too sharp of a turn but I am not sure how to route to cable any differently. It runs up inside under the gunwale, then comes out at a little more than 90 deg and into the motor well

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

He means with the steering disconnected at the motor 1/ turn the steering wheel and check to see if it's tight. If it is there is most likely an issue with the cable or less likely the helm. 2/ turn the motor right and left by hand if its tight it needs greasing up (grease fitting in the middle part of the engine by tilt mech)

If all is ok try adjusting your trim as this will make a difference is steering effort needed.

bert0168

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I'll try it as soon as I get it back.