Prop Question

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
I have a new 25' Pontoon with a 115hp Honda and the stock prop. I want to buy a spare prop. The lake I cruise in does not have many hazards and is pretty deep so I was thinking about buying a stainless prop.

If I buy the same size and pitch would I see a change in WOT rpm? Right now I am propped correctly. Is it also true that I may see an increase in performance? 1-2mph? and better fuel economy?

What brand Stainless props should I look at?

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Prop Question

Your rpm?s will stay the same. You will get better response, and your top end will increase by a few mph. Before I found this sight I purchased a stainless prop from Cabelas and it works fine.

rndn

Commander

There is no such thing as a stock prop. You really need to make sure your current prop is allowing you to reach the manufacturers suggested rpm's at wide open throttle (WOT), prior to buying another prop as it could be the wrong one for your boat.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

By stock I meant a Honda prop that the dealer gave me. I am hitting 5800 rpms and according to the manual WOT should be between 5000 and 6000 so I am good there.

I am just looking to get the most bang for the buck so to speak. Even if it means another Aluminum prop so that I can keep an extra on the boat with me. So if I stay with the same pitch 13p are there any particular props out there that will perform better or is a 13p a 13p?

rndn

Commander

Props are very different by manufacturer. Some lift the stern while others lift the bow. Most notice a huge difference with an SS but you may not see a big change with the style boat you have.