86 force 50hp bad news!! need help!!!!

voonerf

Cadet
Guys and Gals thanks in advance for reading this post. I'll make it as short a humanly possible :)

first off just to let you guys know I am new to boating I recently purchased my first boat just a few weeks ago. I have been on many a boat but just never had the means to get one for myself. So when a deal fell in to my lap I had to jump.

yadda yadda yadda, I had no problems at all with the motor when I first got the boat. I let a buddy borrow the boat that was looking to buy it because i purchased a larger boat. As he was on the lake pulling a tube he had to shut the motor off because the tuber fell off. when he went to start it again it would not start.

after inspecting the boat when it arrived at the house i found a nice little hole in what i believe is a main part of the crank case. from here you can see the rod cap as the motor turns over. it looks like the rod cap came around and hit the case and knocked a hole in it (which is just my luck).

I have heard and actually threw a rod in a car by deaccerlating at a high rate of speed but never heard of this in an outboard motor. what is worse it looks like the hole is near or is the part of the intake from the carb.

I live in a small town which has two good size boat dealers with only one who even looks at force motors. in the exploded view of the manual it looks like this might be one big piece or pieces sold together in an case would be number 10 or the CRANKCASE hehehe. and it also looks like this part is probably no longer in production.

Does anyone know of a place that sells this crankcase (EDIT)?

Sorry for the long post but... only way i could explain it.

thanks again for reading this far

Last edited by a moderator:

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 86 force 50hp bad news!! need help!!!!

best thing i can tell you buddy, check the compression, this will tell you if a rod actually snapped, if you got good compression on all cylinders i wouldnt even try to replace the block, a little more trouble than its worth (sorry to dissappoint you)

BUT when i was working for a construction company, we cracked the block on our tractor, needed to finish a job, so my foreman filled in the crack with J-B weld, its a two part epoxy with a steel and hardener mix, if the hole in your block isnt too too big, try to patch it, and in the mean time, be looking for a replacement motor.

sorry to be a bearer of bad news but a hole in a block is bad news! ive threw a rod in a car, but i wasnt decelarating at the time so i cant tell you if thats how it happened, but i can that trying to get a bare short block and swap all your componets over is going to be more trouble than you want to deal with

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

if the block is cracked something let go .. i have a few force motors sitting around and yes one has a cracked block due to the rod letting go .. if it was mine and you find a block yaa i would change it over .. what do you have to lose but a few buxs and sometime .. i found all my parts motors for a song less then 75 buxs .. i know they are not the best motor BUT i like to have spare parts ..

voonerf

Cadet

thanks for the info i will be checking the compression and see if it has good or any compression at all. if so then i guess JB weld has a date the block

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very little chance your engine isn't junk now, vooner.

Maybe you could get a replacement (used) from a dismantler like www.tcoutboard.com

I would just replace the engine with a currently made mainstream outboard and put yours on eBay for parts.

Far too many words in your post. You could have told us your problem in one, simple paragraph.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

Far too many words in your post. You could have told us your problem in one, simple paragraph.

WOW i enjoyed reading his post .. thats what boards are all about right ?