Boat Insurance

Keith Sportster

Recruit
I am new here. 1977 Glastron T-156 Sportster, 1977 85 HP Johnson motor, Little Dude trailer.

My Question: What is a good boat insurance company for liability only insurance and what amounts do I need to carry? Any suggestions appreciated.

I owned this boat about 1993 and sold it to my nephew in Kansas so they could take their kids on the water. At the time I also had an 18 foot inboard/outborad drive Glastron tri hull. I have bought the 1977 Sportster back this month. We were getting into Goldwing Motorcycle traveling/camping in the early 1990s and even though I live on the side of a lake, I have only had a 12 foot Jon boat and a couple Snark Sailboats since 1995.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Insurance

Have you checked with your auto insurance carrier?
They will have sub writers for boats.
If your just looking for liability ins.
Should be under $100 for the year.
Minimum $300,000 spill liability.

Keith Sportster

Recruit

Thanks Pierutrus,
I have a car, a pickup, and two Goldwing motorcycles (all full coverage) insured with GEICO. Online going through GEICO, I got a quote for liability only from, Sea Safe, One Hollow Lane, Lake Success, NY, for; medical payments, $10,000; liability $25,000 with uninsured boaters included. Cost is $154.00.

I was thinking that was too little coverage and maybe a little expensive for the little coverage. Had a lady with me on my Goldwing motorcycle in the early 1990s, hit a deer, broke her leg. GEICO wrote her a check the first week for $20,000 which was my medical payments at the time. Hope I never need boater's insurance but know I need to be covered for more than $10,000 medical, just in case.

I was looking for someone to point me in the direction of a good boat insurance company.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at Progressive and BoatUS

I went with Progressive. Got full coverage for $300. yr. You can see what I got covered in my signature.
I believe the medical was at $100,000
Damage to the other guy's stuff was at $250,000
Environmental protection $300,000

It's all a matter of shopping around.
If I remember right, you still can get seasonal coverage. For just the period of time of the year you boat.

Last edited: