87 Evinrude 140 High Fuel Consumption

day skipper

Cadet
Hello All! My family and I just returned from vacation with the boat ( a 19' aluminum). I could be wrong, but I think I should be getting better mileage from it. It caught my attention the end of last season when I thought I was burning alot of fuel. I paid closer attention to it this vacation, and according to my sonar mileage, I went less than 15 miles on a full tank( 20 gal.) of fuel. Does this sound right to anybody? If not, any suggestions on what to look for? The motor is a 1987 Evinrude 140 v4 VRO. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks:eek:!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Evinrude 140 High Fuel Consumption

To do the math simply, you burn about 14 gph (gallons per hour) at WOT (wide open throttle), of course you are not always running at WOT. This calculation can vary within 10 to 20 percent. It is easily achieved by dividing the total hp on a 2 stroke and dividing by 10 to get the gph.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it's a single small bore V4 looper on a barge that's not too bad. If it's on a 15 Allison that's pretty bad. If you'll lay out your set up and how it performs we can get a better idea. Are you checking fuel mileage at wot? Or at cruise?

Just to compare I burn between 4.9 & 5.2 gallons an hour at 2500 rpm which is about 26 mph on my flats boat.

day skipper

Cadet

Thanks for the fast reply, guys! The boat is a 19' Deep-V aluminum, with a walk through. Your basic fishing boat. It weighs about 2000lbs. w/ trailer. It was not consantly at WOT, just seemed like alot of fuel, I guess with today's fuel costs, especially at marinas, you just hate to see it go so fast!!! Anyway I guess if you do the math, it averages out about right. WOW!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd have guessed you'd get a little better than 3/4 mile to the gallon. What's your top rpm? What prop do you have? There are some things to look at. Especially these days.