1976 johnson

ssbaber1

Recruit
I have replaced alot of parts on the boat and still haven't found the problem. I take it out on the lake one day, it runs great and the next it runs terrible. When I got it full throttle it is only running mabye 5 mph. It's got me stumped!!!!:) I guy at the bait shop said his was doing the same thing and it was the striker. I think he meant Stator????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 johnson

what have you done, what is your compression and do you have spark on all 3?

JB

Parts changing is the most used, most expensive and least effective troubleshooting method known to man.

Sorry, SS. Couldn't resist. Welcome to iboats. :)

Give us some details on the engine and what you have done so far. "Runs terrible" covers too much territory.

ssbaber1

Recruit

I've sand papered everything I could think of, replaced the power pack, had the carbs rebuilt, lower end seals replaced, changed fuel filter replaced plugs several times, It has a new primer ball and every hose in the motors brand new???? Its a 1976 johnson sea horse. Compression is good, but I'm not sure how to check the spark while it's running? To me it seems as though it's not getting enough spark.[/QUOTE]

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well that still doesn't tell what motor you have. Sea Horse is a name used by Johnson since the dawn of time. What SIZE Sea Horse??

What you can do while you catch it running like crap is remove and ground one spark plug wire and see how it runs than. Then do the other one(s) one at a time. When you find the one that makes no difference when grounded, you know that cylinder is not doing it's job and just going along for the ride.

ssbaber1

Recruit

My motor is a 1976 johnson 55hp seahorse. Sorry guys I thought I had allready told you the most important part!! I will check the spark plugs like you said, but what would it be causing the weak spark. Coils??

JB

What F_R wants you to do is see if you have a dead cylinder.

If you do, we will look at ways to find out why it is dead.

One step at a time and no assumptions. That is troubleshooting.