Trying to fix trim/tilt on johnson

Chef Keil

Cadet
I'm trying to find out way my trim keeping going down when I go to full throttle. Some have said that I might have bad valves (how do I check that without tearing the manifold apart and going out and buying special tools for something I don't know if I can fix). Also there is a small plastic lever on the port side of the trim manifold above the trim/tilt motor (what is this). As you can tell I knoe jack about boats and I need help, taking it to the marina is killing my savings account.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to fix trim/tilt on johnson

First of all, what is the model number of the outboard in question??? Or a year??

It sounds like you are referring to your trim sender/limit switch. It lets your gauge know the tilt.

IN reference to your problem, unfortunately it does sound like a faulty internal valve. Troubleshooting varies depending on the year.

Chef Keil

Cadet

Chris,
It is a 85 johnson pro tracker 120hp. I don't have a tilt gauge on the boat (86 hydrasport 1800cc). Looking at the tnt yesterday, is that I see the large screw in the front, but where would be a glass to see what fliud level. I'm going to place more fluid in this weekend but wanted to know if there way some way to cheaply found out what the problem is before ripping it out of the boat.

Thank you for replying

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont have the testing procedure in front of me, but Ill try to get back to you, if someone doesnt jump in with it. Those valves can sometimes be a bugger to troubleshoot. I assume of course you have tried the manual release screw? Tightened it up and made sure that it wasnt leaking? That would be where I would personally start.

Regarding the fluid level, there is no sight glass. You just trim it fully up and out, top up, cycle the unit 5 to 6 times, then refill, etc... until you can no longer top it up.

aclmvh

Seaman

One thought is you may have air bubbles in the system. To rid yourself of these without manually bleeding the system, try running the tilt to the top (full up position) and keep the switch engaged for about 3-5 seconds after it reaches the full up position. To be safe, prop the foot of the motor so it won't come down, and then slightly unscrew the filler cap on the hydraulic fluid reservoir- you'll hear air escape. Unscrew the cap and top off the fluid reservoir, screw the cap back on and run it all the way down, and back up- repeat the procedure until no more air escapes and you've got a topped off hydaul. tank.