My Omc 800 Works!

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've read all the horror stories. I'm prepared for the worst. I've learned a lot from all you folks. Thanks. This is a great resource.

Maybe this will be a hot topic, maybe not, but since my OMC outdrive is still working what are the three most important things that I can do to keep it working and enjoy its sunset years.

Thanks to all

FT

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: My Omc 800 Works!

Buy a bunch of tilt motors, tilt solenoids and ball gears . . . BTW, I actually like the stupid things ;)

chiefalen

Captain

Keep the outdrive oils changed. Keep the clutch housing clean of water. Change the impeller every 3-5 years.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Get a factory service Manual, read it, and follow it................there thats 3......;):)

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL...he's right...don't forget plenty of seals too and a membership with Tow Boat USA. Joking aside, I learned quite a bit about this type of drive when I had one. Mine went for 23 years before it was time to change the ball gears and a few seals. It was very well maintained and that is the key to its longevity. Here is what kept mine in good shape. Always do a proper winterization to the motor and drive. I always fogged the motor, and then I removed all the spark plugs and sprayed each cylinder with fogging oil and turned the motor over a few times, then reinstalled the spark plugs. Remove all hoses and drain the engine completely of water, do not forget the power steering cooler as well. You want to grease the pivot housing (trunnion) every season. The zerk fittings are located under the black bumpers; run the drive down and pop them off. Grease it real good. I always used OMC triple guard grease. It?s a very good product. I kind of like the blue color too. Also, you want to grease the swivel housing. Look at the front of the drive just above the lower unit. You will see a hole here, it there so you can run a grease gun nozzle in and grease the swivel housing. If you look into the hole you will see the zerk grease fitting. You Tilt box clutch assembly at some point or another will get water in it. I have a new seal kit if you ever need one. What I did was drain it of oil and then pumped it full of OMC marine grease. Pump it in the drain hole until it comes out the top fill hole and you see it pushing out around the tilt gear. Once I did this I never had water in it again nor did I ever have a problem with it. I also slapped some OMC triple guard all over the moon sprocket and tilt gear. What is good about triple guard by OMC is its sticks even underwater. I even put some on the ball gears but it will just fly off. There really is not much you can do to maintain the ball gears. Just make sure the little pin hole in the intermediate is always clear, this pin hole shoots water out of it on to the ball gears to keep them cool. I always changed my outdrive oil after every season regardless of the amount of hours on it. Make sure you change all three compartments; the intermediate, the upper and the lower. From time to time I would check my interrupt switch and make sure it was working. It takes the stress off the gears and dog clutch when shifting by stumbling the motor (causing it to misfire). The key is keeping your idle speed low (600 RPM) or less. This allows for easy shifting and less wear. Keep your anodes in good shape too, especially if you keep the boat in the water for long periods. I changed my oil every 50 hours, sometimes I let it go a little longer. I also changed the fuel filter canister and filter at the carb at the end of the season. I replaced the spark plugs and points typically every 100 hours. As the points wear it will change your timing so before each season I would reset the timing. Check the boot around the drive from time to time for cracks. Other than that, I don?t think there is much left to do. Oh one more thing, NEVER RUN THE MOTOR WITH THE TILT UP! Aways have it down completely when you run the engine. On the steering actuator, there is a grease fitting there as well.

jp89bayliner

Seaman

My boat is a 85 with a omc 5.0 and a stringer. Grandfarther orignal owner then my dad and then myself. follow the above and it will work great for a long time. Mine is know 23 years old and still is going strong. I did have to have it sealed ounce about three years ago but that was it.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

All of the above!!! I'd even check the O/D oils once in the middle of the season if it gets heavy use. They're really quite simple once you understand how all the parts operate, unlike those from the 'dark side'. :eek:

:D:D:D

boarder

Cadet

I have had a 800 since 1984 its on a 22 foot Daycruiser, and runs like a champ, every 10 years, it needs a water pump impeller and ball gears. If you a a bit wrenchy, you can do the ball gears yourself, they are about $200, a decent outdrive shop can do it in 2 hours , so if you don't want to tackle it, the cost is about $450 with labor. Parts are readily available from GLM Marine in Southern California, they even have new complete outdrives available, or rebuilt ones with a good warranty... What I know is, my boat looks and runs great, I paid it off in 1989 and its faster, quieter and better looking than my Bro-in - laws $50,000 Tige direct drive.

boarder

Cadet

Oh, and the guy who talked about the tilt motor and solenoid is right, keep a spare tilt motor soleniod in you tool box,( about $75) I have had a couple of weekends ruined when they fail. The tilt motor usually gives you a hint when it fails( it will be intermittent for a while) the cost is about $150 for a new one , and it is relatively easy to change.