OMC Stern Drive, I/O GM 3.8L v6 } Where questions go??

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stern Drive, I/O GM 3.8L v6 } Where questions go??

It means the boat has an inboard outboard configuration. That means the engine is in the boat, the drive is outside the boat. Compared to an outboard where the motor and drive are one unit and located outside the boat. Or an inboard where the motor and drive are in the boat (prop shaft and prop outside the boat). The motor in this case is a General Motors engine (GM). The engine is 3800 cubic centimeters or 3.8 liters (six cylinders -V6).

OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) is longer in business. The old drives (Cobra models) were pretty good units. This boat however has the ?Stringer? design and is an OMC 800 model. These drives can still be good drives if they were maintained but parts are expensive and most mechanics don't like to work on them. I had one and it ran rather well and lasted a long time. I just do not see the point of buying a boat with an obsolete outdrive. If you are going with an older boat, find one with a Mercruiser in it.

chiefalen

Captain

In all due respect maim; Get a brand new boat. Bayliner has a great entry level boat with trailer. 3.0L merc. even sams club sells boats.

If you buy a boat new at a boat show i believe if you bargain hard they will give you a great deal.

good luck

Bondo

Staff member

What does this all mean???

Ayuh,....

It means you Don't want it....

OMC has been Out of Business for about 10 Years,...
No factory Parts,+ No factory Support,+ Very Few mechanics will work on them anymore....

That's Why the boat is So Cheap....

sham

Seaman

Got it!! Thanks for the help! Won't be buying this one!!! Can't take that chance for a starter boat with 3 kids!!!:D