Mercruiser Quadrajet epoxy??

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
i have read about using epoxy to plug the holes in the float bowl on these but i cant seem to find any thing about what type or brand of epoxy to use.
i have a kit, and need to install because gaskets are falling apart. i would like to fix these pulgs when i have it apart.
thanks ahead for any one who can let me know what you use
:confused:

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser Quadrajet epoxy??

being a gm tech for the last 20 years when u use to rebuild the carbs we just installed a sponge that fits into the pocket. Any auto parts store should have them

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

tks lime; will that take care of the plugs that leak too?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes. it fits inside the throttle plate base right under the plugs that have a tendency of leaking

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

we only have one parts store here, napa, but l'll go see if they ahve one

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

well i was able to order a seal kit from napa this morning . they show 2, one for 60's and one ending in 1978. i got the newer one but i am hoping they changed the style of these bowles and mine being a 88 wont need one. will know pretty quick whin i tear it down.

freak007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a clear 5 minute epoxy... it doesn't have to be anything too special

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

mine is the newer style with swaged washers. i tested them as per the link on one of your other posts and they didnt leak so i'mputting her back together and not worry.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

to seal the machining holes on the Q-jet, and most other crbs, they used a steel plug with an oring set in lead. over time they leaked.
most times it was simply annoying as the secondary jet plugs would drain the fuel bowl causing very hard starting due to no fuel in the bowl.
the foam gasket thing is worthless at best.
I use JB weld and epoxy ALL plugs at rebuild as some carb cleaners will cause a leak.
did my first Rochester carb school about 1978 in hayward CA, been doing Q-jets since I was about 16 and I am 47 now. in fact I did another yesterday.
the Q-jet was and is a dead reliable design that was first introduced about 1966.
however it can be rather touchy especially if there is any other issues than a dirty carb.
for automotive use the leaking main wells usually were not an issue as most cars did not sit for weeks between starts, boats dop and thats when you will find a dry fuel bowl. engine then must crank until the bowl is refilled and after that they will run flawless until they sit again.
if the primary passage plugs leak it can do all kinds of crazy low speed things, thats why I simply epoxy them all at rebuild.
but the triple venturi primary bores and the design of the secondary airvalve made it a very efficient carb for a 4bbl.