All composite boat

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I read somewhere that some boats (Tiderunner and/or SeaSwirl) were complete composite, even down to the stringers. I'm looking for a first boat and don't want the rotting floor or stringer problems. Would it make sense then that these boats would alleviate these problems? I'm also looking for at an outboard type as well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: All composite boat

they also have a much higher price tag.

ziggy

Admiral

Would it make sense then that these boats would alleviate these problems
i think it's a good idea... my 1st boat had rot so i kinda wanted a no wood boat too. even back in 75 mfg.s were looking into the idea... my nineteen is billed as no wood construction and i like the idea....

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are looking to buy a new boat which it sounds like you are, then you shouldnt have a problem with most new boats out there. They will not have rot problems for many many years if at all. I realize this is just procrastinating, but unless you plan on having the boat for more than 20-30 years I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most high quality boats are made better now than they were 30 years ago, so I doubt rot will be the biggest concern. but thats just my opinion. Definitely get whatever boat you want, if you want composite, go for it, but if you want a non composite boat more, don't let the wood core stop you.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

If you are looking to buy a new boat which it sounds like you are, then you shouldnt have a problem with most new boats out there. They will not have rot problems for many many years if at all. I realize this is just procrastinating, but unless you plan on having the boat for more than 20-30 years I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most high quality boats are made better now than they were 30 years ago, so I doubt rot will be the biggest concern. but thats just my opinion. Definitely get whatever boat you want, if you want composite, go for it, but if you want a non composite boat more, don't let the wood core stop you.

I'm buying used 5+ yrs old. Some of the threads on this board scares me. I just wanted to know what the pros and cons of an all composite boat are? Who and when did the started the composite design. Did Seaswirl/Tiderunner started doing all composite in the 80's, 90's or 00's? I'm trying to gather info. I would feel more comfortable owning an older all composite boat then say a newer wood boat. But that's just me.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, another brand that boasts of no wood is Caravelle Boats. I'm not sure if they have what you are looking for, I didnt see any outboards on their site, but some cool boats non the less.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

You didn't mention what you will be using the boat for.

However, it seems you are looking for a saltwater fishing type boat given that you mention Tiderunner and Seaswirl (Stripers are their fishing boats). Is that correct?

If so, take a look at Triumph boats. These are probably the epitomy of rot resistant. There is no wood or fiberglass used in the construction of these. They use a plastic material for the hull skins and then inject high density foam in the hollow cavities to give it strength.