pitted and leaking pontoons

frogman0507

Recruit
I recently purchased a '97 Smoker Craft pontoon that had been sitting at Sante Cooper Lake in S.C. for several years. Pontoons were never cleaned. When I got it home and cleaned the pontoons, I have noticed several pinholes basically on the whole pontoon. I am trying to JB weld as many pinholes as I can. My main question: is there any kind of paint or sealer that I can put on these pontoons to seal all the holes and keep the pontoons from getting more pitting and pinholes and taking on any more water.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pitted and leaking pontoons

Ouch.. I have talked to a few guys out there and they said the same thing happened to their toons. Sante Cooper's power plant is what they thought was the cause. What they did was locate and mark all the pin holes and then had them tig welded. I don't think JB Weld is gonna cut it to be honest. Could be wrong though.

I am new to toons but have been boating for years.

ragtop69gs

Cadet

I bought a toon that the previous owner JB welded in about 40 spots on each tube , after 2 years of use by me ,still no water in the tubes.

Jay

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Fixxed a lower unit on an old outboard with JB, held up great for 3 years and as far as I know still is.

If you go that route make sure you scuff the area really well with heavy grit sandpaper so it has somethig to grip.

Agree, welding is the best most permanent solution although welding lake scum has always been my least favorite thing to do.

SoulWinner

Commander

Successful use of JB Weld is all in the preparation. Follow the instructions to the letter, scuff the area real well, and make sure it is totally free of any oil or anything like that. I have used it for some pretty wild stuff in the past and most times it worked. I don't see why it wouldn't form a strong enough bond with the aluminum toons to stay put if it's applied properly and sanded smooth afterward.

snuffy45

Seaman Apprentice

I recently bought a Lowe pontoon and previous owner ran it up on ground alot, mostly gravels at boat ramps. the front of toon's were pretty scratched up, noticed small pin hole, I got WATERWELD, by JB WELD, at wal-mart, worked great, you can even use it underwater. I used whole tube and made a patch to fit over both sides at the front where all the scraping had been, sanded after it cured smooth as silk, no leak. extra protection cover on the worn spots makes me feel a lot better.

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi
I tig weld, and I use JB weld, they both have their place, but they don't mix, once you get repair compounds into cracks, or pits the weld option is usually over.

I have had the idea for years of having aluminum aircraft skiis, and jet skiff hulls coated with urethane spray plastic. This material is tougher than UHMW nylon and doesn't gall like UHMW will on jet boat hulls. The commercial stuff is like box liner, only tougher. Has anyone tried this?

mikegj

Seaman Apprentice

I just got some of this stuff for my dock post's it is awsome!! www.sanitred.com
just a little sanding to scuff it up and put it on, not affected by being submersed, lifetime warranty