1979 OMC 800 gear lube

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At the risk of repeating a question I'll ask anyway.

I have read many threads on this and still feel as though I don't have an answer.

For use in the upper and lower drive units, is Mobil-1 75-90w SYN an acceptable or maybe even better gear oil than the OMC HI-VIS oil suggested in the manual?

chiefalen

Captain
Re: 1979 OMC 800 gear lube

If it ain't a electric shift and you want the very best of the best at 10 dollars a quart merc, quicksilver gear oil. Any merc. dealer will have it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

For use in the upper and lower drive units, is Mobil-1 75-90w SYN an acceptable or maybe even better gear oil than the OMC HI-VIS oil suggested in the manual?
That oil is just fine. No need to buy the Merc stuff.

chiefalen

Captain

I didn't say I used that merc. stuff. No freekin way I'd pay that for oil.I use cheapest wally-world gear oil. Every machine I have uses wally-world stuff.

Uraijit

Banned

I'm using the Wal-Mart brand (Super Tech) synthetic blend. It's about $3 per quart. I would have gotten something a bit more reputable if they'd had it there, but I figure the season's already half over here, so I'm okay running it for half a season, and then putting in some mobile 1 or maybe even get spendy and throw some Silkolene or Red Line in there (I'm a motorcycle guy, and I've always had good luck with those brands). Still cheaper than Merc's magical mystery oil...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I didn't say I used that merc. stuff. No freekin way I'd pay that for oil.I use cheapest wally-world gear oil. Every machine I have uses wally-world stuff.
So why did you suggest the Merc stuff instead of the Walmart brand?