which new boat

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
ok lets say for arguments sake you were looking at buying a new boat. Wanted to spend 40K or less. open bow is a thought but a cuddy I think would be prefered. some weekend trips what not. what would you recommend and why.

I'm not seriously in the market yet, but not not in the market either. looking at everything from a 14K open bow Glastron to a 40K searay 215 so far. Probably won't do anything until next season although it depends on whether my little avenger can be repaired or not.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: which new boat

the new Bayliners big bang for the buck. see the post at the top of this forum.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would take all of the rest of today if I had to list all of the boats I'd like under 40K. But, off the top of my head; a used 24' Novi (downest type), 250hp O/B and trailer.
Some guys have all the luck.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If i had 40K to spend on any boat out there,and its primary use is family/fun,...Cobalt.
Family owned , well built boat,every functional accessory you can think of,standard with big displacement motors,excellent warranty's...aside from Scarab,cigarette,fountain...haven't been on any other boat that handles as well in any type of condition,here's why No wood either in the polypropylene structural honeycomb of the floor or backbone. Nor in the all-fiberglass stringers where a methacrylate bonding compound. No wood in the water impervious roto-cast seat bases. huge engine compartment,Take a look at one,this is one fine boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I don't think Bayliner is currently offering a smaller cuddy cabin in the sub 22' range. If they are I think it is a carryover design...not one of the new re-born Bayliners. However, if you are thinking about bow riders Bayliners are getting many great reviews.

I think in general small cuddy cabins are falling out of favor. They just don't sell many of them so manufacturers are either dropping them all together or they are cutting way back on what they offer.

An example of this is Four Winns. They used to offer cuddy cabin boats from 19' to 26'. Now they only have the 215 which is really a 20' boat with an extended swim platform. To get any bigger with a cabin you need to step all the way up to their 23-24' cruiser.

Based on my impressions what Four Winns offers is a very good boat at a fair price. I would recomend the S215 (S=Sundowner). I like the layout as much as anything I have seen. I like the transom walk-thru, the small sink in the cockpit, the L shaped bench in the cockpit and the swim platform rumble seat bench.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would take all of the rest of today if I had to list all of the boats I'd like under 40K. But, off the top of my head; a used 24' Novi (downest type), 250hp O/B and trailer.
Some guys have all the luck.

Where to start? You need to define the criteria for your new boat more. You haven't even decided on a bowrider or cuddy.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for all the great replies so far guys. I had totally forgotten about Bayliners.

Dave you are correct sir, but, right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what's available in both styles, as well as trying to nail down what I want to use it for.

The dealer here had said that cuddy cabins were not really being produced anymore as well, except in small numbers.