Battery Leak?

Surftamer

Recruit
Recently purchased a used boat with dual batteries and standard selector switch (1-2-All-Off). I use the number 1 battery for starting. In fact, I never use battery nr. 2 - just keep it as a back up.

After being away from the boat for a week the number 1 battery has been dead twice. There are a number of electronics attached to it - radio, gps, radar, bilge, vhf. The radio has a separate kill switch so as not to drain the battery.

Looking for advice on how to find the culprit. What is draining the battery completely while i am away from the boat for a week.

thanks for any advice.

rndn

Commander
Re: Battery Leak?

Welcome to the forum!!:):)
When you state there are several items attached to the battery, do you really mean attached to the battery or are they attached to the battery selector switch? If they are attached to the battery you should have them attached to the switch so you can shut everything down with the switch. Some forumusers on here, including myself, like to keep the bilge attached directly to the battery so it is always ready to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery Leak?

Take off one of the battery cables and put a meter(set to measure current) in between the battery and the cable. You will now know how much current is being drawn. At this point, start disconnecting your loads or pull fuses to see which device is drawing down your battery.