No fire on number 1 after rebuild

1993ERUDE

Cadet
I just finished my rebuild 93 200 evinrude. I hooked the timing light up and it has no spark on the number one cylinder I checked all the others and theyre working, so I swapped the no.1 coil with the no.2 coil and still no fire what could this be.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No fire on number 1 after rebuild

do you have a good ground on that coil?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

From the CDI Troubleshooting Guide:

NO SPARK ON ONE CYLINDER:

1. Check the timer base?s resistance and output

Wire Color: Check to Wire Color: Resistance: DVA Reading
Brown wire Brown/Yellow wire 900-1100 (35 amp) 150V or more Connected
Orange Orange/Black 93-103 OEM 12-24V Connected
Orange Orange/Black 45-55 CDI 12-24V Connected
White wire Purple wire (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Blue wire (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Green wire (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Purple wire 2nd connector (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Blue wire 2nd connector (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Green wire 2nd connector (a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Black/White wire 2nd connector 215-225 Not Applicable

(a) Use a comparison reading as different brands of meters will give different readings. The typical range is 1M to 5M ohms. As long as you have approximately the same ohm reading on all six tests and the correct output with the DVA meter, the Timer-Base should be good. The exception would be if one of the scr?s inside the Timer-Base is breaking down while the engine is running. This can be found indexing the flywheel and checking the timing on all cylinders. If the readings are off, reverse the meter leads and retest to see if the readings are corrected.

2. Check the DVA output on the orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 130V or more. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the orange wire from the ignition coil for that cylinder and reconnect it to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack or Timer-Base.

1993ERUDE

Cadet

yes I just went out and cleaned all the grounds and still the same, I noticed some black stuff coming out the hub i'm guessing this is unburned fuel.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

While you are checking the output voltage from the powerpack, make sure the connections (little pins) inside the plugs coming from the pack are all making contact(especially on the one going to the #1 coil). sometimes they get bent.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are the spark plug wires new? I have had one that had a pin hole in the sheathing and was arching somewhere on the motor....easy to test ..worth a try.

1993ERUDE

Cadet

ok the cdi trouble shooting guide, is that with the engine running or not,I dont have a dva meter nor does anyone I know so what now, start replacing stuff? Could there be some interference with the wires the one that are under the powerpack look as if they have been smashed could this be my problem. seemed to be working before rebuild.