sea nymph transom redo with pic

fonthillhdtv

Seaman Apprentice
I?m well into the replacement of my transom on a late seventies alum. runabout.
The 80 merc was removed with the help of a friends excavator. The wood in the transom was completely destroyed in some places but in others around the motor mount and tie down hooks the ply was as hard as concrete that the chain saw and auger bites would start smoking. Think maybe it was soaked in some kind of penetrating epoxy. It took about 4 hrs to remove it completely but it was about 95* outside that day. Since I did not get anything out I could use as a template, I clamped a piece of 1/8 ply to the back of the boat and traced it.
Then cut it and played around till it fit. Then I used that to lay out the pattern on the 2 pieces of 3/4 and 1 piece of 1/2 . I then cut them to size and epoxied them together with urethane glue like gorilla glue and alot of screws. I let that set up for a day then coated the whole thing in 3 coats of smith and co. clearPenetrating epoxy sealer then 4 coats of epoxy paint. I then used there epoxy filler to fill all the holes I had drilled over size. Then installed the the transom with pl construction adhesive and alot of clamps to keep the holes lined up. That's as far as I've gotten . My one problem I haven't solved yet is the drain tubes for the splash well. I cannot find any longer then 2 inches locally. I was hoping to find something I didn't have to flare on one end but no luck yet.
Yesterday I got most of the stainless steel screws in and sealed and the primer coat of paint on . The transom trim cap turned out to be full of pin holes when I tried to clean it up. A local shop is making up a new aluminum cap for about $60.00 expensive but it will keep the water out of the transom.
Got a coat of finish paint on the boat last night looks very good. I also tackled the left console last night the wood on the dash is old and cracked so I?m going to replace it will new .

Attachments

• Picture boat 001.jpg
    Picture boat 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 003.jpg
    Picture boat 003.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 006.jpg
    Picture boat 006.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 010.jpg
    Picture boat 010.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 011.jpg
    Picture boat 011.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 3

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: sea nymph transom redo with pic

looks good . should last for 20 years at least !!! ohhh and welcome !!!! John

fonthillhdtv

Seaman Apprentice

well now i'm getting frustrated the trim piece for the transom was not ready yet so the motor still sits on the ground. in the mean time i have got the left console done and the finishing touches on the transom more pictures to come pic no#5 new transom painted and curing in the sun pic#6 I drilled holes in the bottom rail to drain any water. pic#7 transom installed glued and clamped to line up holes Pic#8 sanded and primed.

Attachments

• Picture boat 012.jpg
    Picture boat 012.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture boat 013.jpg
    Picture boat 013.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 015.jpg
    Picture boat 015.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture boat 017.jpg
    Picture boat 017.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2

fonthillhdtv

Seaman Apprentice
Re: sea nymph transom update

Re: sea nymph transom update

finished the transom last night hoping to install the motor tonight but my buddy with the excavator was busy. this waiting on other people is frustrating.I spent the evening working on the electrical got all the lights bilge and downriggers working 100%. hopefully tomorrow motor will go on and I can be on Lake Erie this weekend attached a few more pics of the transom

Attachments

• Picture boat 021.jpg
    Picture boat 021.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture boat 019.jpg
    Picture boat 019.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture boat 018.jpg
    Picture boat 018.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2

jcsercsa

Captain

Looks real great !!! me and my 17 year old and a little help from my 13 , lifted our100 hp off our boat and lifted it a foot off the ground to the saw horse , it wasnt to bad do you have a young neighbor to help ? tilt the boat all the way down , and it should slde right on !!! good luck John

fonthillhdtv

Seaman Apprentice

I wish i would have done that to take it off, but it's sitting at buddies house waiting for him to find time to help

fonthillhdtv

Seaman Apprentice

got the motor reinstalled this evening now all i have to do is drop by my mechanics house tomorrow and have him hook up the trottle and choke cables
maybe i should ask does anyone have information for me on how to reinstall them myself i know it only took him 2 minutes to disconnect them but I wasn't watching closely posted some picks of the motor reinstall[

Attachments

• Picture boat 025.jpg
    Picture boat 025.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture boat 024.jpg
    Picture boat 024.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture boat 026.jpg
    Picture boat 026.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture boat 028.jpg
    Picture boat 028.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

your last post is going to help me out soon. i had to go see the chiropractor after taking the motor off of my boat by myself, i was looking at it today thinking of how i could use my engine hoist to lift it into place but couldn't think of how to hook it up to the hoist.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice job. I wish that I had a back hoe to help out like that instead of picking up my marbals up off the ground when I do mine...