1977 140s idle prob

switzer 140s

Cadet
Im a newbie to the boat scene and just got a 1975 switzer with a 1977 evinrude 140s. The motor starts great, the probs seem to get worse the longer i drive it. First if i go in neutral it idles really low and sometimes dies. But if i go back into gear it will always die. Then ill stat it back up and put the choke lever all the up and back down and quickly put it into gear. It takes a couple tries till it stay running in gear. Also if im just cruising alittle above idle and start to give it more gas nothing will happen basically like a hesitation and once in a while die. If i move the throttle back a fourth it will get going after a little bit. When i get it going full throttle or even half it runs very strong. Even if i keep it just in gear it runs alright but did die today after i was on the water awile. Im not sure what the temp is supposed to be either,at idle or just cruising the temps at about 155-160 but a full throttle it climbed to 170-175 is this normal and the water pressure was low at idle but a full throttle it jumped to 20-25psi. Any help thanks

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 140s idle prob

what is your idle RPM? Could be just your idle screw needs a little turn. More likely your idle jets in the carbs need cleaned. Idle should be 600-700 in the water in gear.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 140s idle prob

Make sure that the timing is advancing before the carbs open. If that isnt it, it is time for a complete carb rebuild, before it doesn't start next time your out:eek::p