My new/old Metzler Maya S

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Well I was supposed to find information for my mom about inflatables and instead I awoke a 40 year old desire in myself to have one.

Well here it is!

Just bought it on E-Bay for $200. I will have to see how it looks in person next week when I pick it up.

3,60m x 1,50m and a capacity of 500 KG

Maximum horsepower – 15

I really wanted a rigid floor, but lost all tries. The bidding went way out of my range at least twenty times, so I lowered my standards and this is the result.

I will try again during the colder seasons after the Germans are through with vacation to get one.

Attachments

• a96e_1.JPG
    a96e_1.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bba7_1.JPG
    bba7_1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • a452_1.JPG
    a452_1.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 97e2_1.JPG
    97e2_1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • c136_1.JPG
    c136_1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 0

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: My new/old Metzler Maya S

It is now sold under the Avon name as the Traveler and is no longer made of Hypalon. The new ones are made in Hungary, are made of PVC and it is rated for 10HP.

Attachments

• 21042007(004).jpg
    21042007(004).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 21042007.jpg
    21042007.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... congrats on the win! looks to be in great condition. aint it fun to have things once enjoyed return. Now go help ur ma! :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

... congrats on the win! looks to be in great condition. aint it fun to have things once enjoyed return. Now go help ur ma! :D

When I told her on the phone I was trying last week to get one she couldn't have been happier. She said she was flying over to use it on her vacation! :eek:

She has called six times now to see if I won one yet. :p

I lost twenty or so in biding wars in the last seconds, and another twenty or so just went out of this world with the prices.

I feel like a little kid again, and I think I have a really bad case of multiple boat syndrome now. :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Registration papers came yesterday in the mail.

It is not stolen, and it is officially mine! :D

Four months ago I had no Boats, now I have three. :rolleyes:

I like this one the best.

Now what kind of numbers will stick to Hypalon? :confused:

Do normal vinyl boat numbers work, or do I need to paint them on. :confused:

I really don't want to paint if I don't have to.

akwormy

Seaman Apprentice

Your boat is newer and in far better shape than mine, nice find and good buy!

I have a 1976 or 1977 maya that my dad bought new 30 or so years ago. I've pretty much had to restore it completely removing all the glued on items and reattaching them and patching a few leaks. Some seams are leaking slightly and I need to try some of the liquid sealant some places sell to see if I can extend the life of this great little boat.

I'd really like to find one of these in the condition that you did, they are great little boats - very versatile. I have had mine in rivers, lakes, and the ocean.

Have you ever seen the sail kits that they made for the maya? I think that would be great fun on the lake with my children to teach them to sail. If I could find one in the US I'd be thrilled. I assume it would cost a fortune to ship one here from the states or across the pond.

I painted the registration numbers on mine - it was pretty easy although I would have liked to have them positioned further aft so they could be more straight, but our regulations require them within a certain distance of the bow of the boat. I wanted black paint but could only find gray.

I don't know if you only have to have numbers or not, but here we have to have a registration sticker also. I made the mounting plate that you see my sticker on in the pictures. I took a piece of plastic that I cut from a quart of oil (the yellow that the blue sticker is on) then put a slit on each side of it and threaded a piece of hypalon patch through it (the gray on either side of the blue sticker). To install it I glued the patch material on each side and now have a nice permenant place for my sticker.

Photos were from a moose hunt on a river here in Alaska last fall.

Enjoy your new/old Maya!

(PS - I've got the exact same evinrude 7.5hp that you found for your small boat restoration - you can see it in the picture I posted!)

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0948.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0948.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of IMG_0951.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0951.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of IMG_0953.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0953.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 0

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Your boat is newer and in far better shape than mine, nice find and good buy!

I have a 1976 or 1977 maya that my dad bought new 30 or so years ago. I've pretty much had to restore it completely removing all the glued on items and reattaching them and patching a few leaks. Some seams are leaking slightly and I need to try some of the liquid sealant some places sell to see if I can extend the life of this great little boat.

I'd really like to find one of these in the condition that you did, they are great little boats - very versatile. I have had mine in rivers, lakes, and the ocean.

Have you ever seen the sail kits that they made for the maya? I think that would be great fun on the lake with my children to teach them to sail. If I could find one in the US I'd be thrilled. I assume it would cost a fortune to ship one here from the states or across the pond.

I painted the registration numbers on mine - it was pretty easy although I would have liked to have them positioned further aft so they could be more straight, but our regulations require them within a certain distance of the bow of the boat. I wanted black paint but could only find gray.

I don't know if you only have to have numbers or not, but here we have to have a registration sticker also. I made the mounting plate that you see my sticker on in the pictures. I took a piece of plastic that I cut from a quart of oil (the yellow that the blue sticker is on) then put a slit on each side of it and threaded a piece of hypalon patch through it (the gray on either side of the blue sticker). To install it I glued the patch material on each side and now have a nice permenant place for my sticker.

Photos were from a moose hunt on a river here in Alaska last fall.

Enjoy your new/old Maya!

(PS - I've got the exact same evinrude 7.5hp that you found for your small boat restoration - you can see it in the picture I posted!)

I looked for a long time before I found this one.

Being built in Germany it was considerably easier to find one here, than I am sure it would be there, but I did see two for sale on the web from a oil firm in Alaska last month that looked to be in really good shape.

I spent the last week tracking down a couple of slow leaks and sealing then, and I will do some work on the area just in front of the transom where gas leaked on the Hypalon. I will re-coat this part with a two stage rubber Hypalon paint.

This area has no influence on the boats performance or “float ability” though, as the transom on my model is mounted outside the boats inner structure, to the main tubes. I will probably wait for winter to do this work.

It has now held air without a re-pump for five days.

Should you ever want to have it completely restored there is a company just south of us, that does work for the German military, and can supply just about everything you could ever wish for.

My boat originally had the sail kit, but the former owner said it had been stolen during vacation one year. He thought they had taken as much as the could carry, and had planned to come back for the rest, but he woke up, and moved the boat bag into the house before they got the rest of the bags.

The mounting points for the sails are still there and really heavy duty. I plan to eventually use them for a Bimini Top and or a Tent frame to use in the often bad weather here, a little more comfortable.

These sail kits were really well made and tend to outlive the boats themselves. You can still find them on Ebay here, but they are kind of pricey.

We don't need the registration stickers here, but the boat numbers requirements seem to be the same as for your boat.

I would have liked to just put them on the motor, but it is too small.

Speaking of the motor, I love mine, how long have you been using yours?

If you will post the name on your boat and the length, I might have some original Metzeler paper work from the company for it, I can post for you.

P.S. The hunt photos are great, wish I had been there!

akwormy

Seaman Apprentice

I actually have the original bill of sale for mine - $850 brand new...wow have things changed!

I also have the original book for it and even a thank you card from the dealer. Guess times have changed - I know people today that have purchased $30K boats and they certainly didn't get a hand written thank you note!

It's a maya by the way - right at 12 or 13 feet. If you have any other paperwork sure I'd take it from you - or if you want scans of any of my paperwork just let me know.

Believe it or not I just tonight saw one for sale here, with a sail kit. $750...wish I had the money to buy it! (just wanted to say again that mine was sold new for $850 and a used one who knows how old is being offered up for $750 - wow)

I got the motor from a friend a couple years ago - I can't believe how great it runs - it purrs better than motors 20 years newer. Amazing.

I also have a 15hp for it (I know it's a bit much) that I just got a new aluminum prop for (had a plastic one) and it got up on plane with me (200lb) and my cousin (250#). Pretty amazing little boat.

I'm about two weeks away from going hunting in it again...can't wait! You can imagine the looks I get here in the land of giant inboard jets and airboats!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Those tubes look very much like the ones from the Metzeler Markant 3.6m rib.

Hop over to ribnet and search the forums there for Markant and you'll see one.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Those tubes look very much like the ones from the Metzeler Markant 3.6m rib.

Hop over to ribnet and search the forums there for Markant and you'll see one.

Do you know if “dverstege” ever found the tubes he was looking for, for his Markant?

There is a company here (Germany) that will make him new ones, or recondition his old ones, and might still have access to new originals.

They do a lot of work for the German Army on their SIB/RIB's.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I actually have the original bill of sale for mine - $850 brand new...wow have things changed!

I also have the original book for it and even a thank you card from the dealer. Guess times have changed - I know people today that have purchased $30K boats and they certainly didn't get a hand written thank you note!

It's a maya by the way - right at 12 or 13 feet. If you have any other paperwork sure I'd take it from you - or if you want scans of any of my paperwork just let me know.

Believe it or not I just tonight saw one for sale here, with a sail kit. $750...wish I had the money to buy it! (just wanted to say again that mine was sold new for $850 and a used one who knows how old is being offered up for $750 - wow)

I got the motor from a friend a couple years ago - I can't believe how great it runs - it purrs better than motors 20 years newer. Amazing.

I also have a 15hp for it (I know it's a bit much) that I just got a new aluminum prop for (had a plastic one) and it got up on plane with me (200lb) and my cousin (250#). Pretty amazing little boat.

I'm about two weeks away from going hunting in it again...can't wait! You can imagine the looks I get here in the land of giant inboard jets and airboats!

I am looking at a 15hp for mine next year, it won't be a race boat, but it will allow us to cover more water in a day, and is a nice compromise with fuel. We go mostly upstream and it is a fight with the current all day. Next summer we want to make some long distance camping trips on the rivers in Germany, and I think I need that extra UMPH for the trips when fully loaded with gear. :rolleyes:

The little Evinrude will stay a member of the family though, it is just to nice to part with. I ran it all day (non-stop) on Sunday and used less than 8Liters of fuel. :D

As far as the funny looks go, I know just how you feel, the older water rats here all know my boat, but the younger (30-40) know it alls just don't understand. The teenagers love it, and beg for rides.

If you will send me a Personal Message with contact info I will send the original documents (in German) for all the Maya boats in your year range. The are in PDF format and I can attach it to a mail.

I'd love to have copies of anything you have in the way of documents on yours. I will bring mine back with me when I return to the States, and it might help with the registration. Other than that it would just be interesting to see them.

Be sure and take photos of the hunting trip, this is what I am really waiting for!

akwormy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - I sent you a pm with my email and you bet I'll share some more pictures - I always take lots of pictures! Hopefully one of the boat carrying a pretty good load if I find a legal moose!

whenever I'm throwing this raft in the water people tend to wander over and want to know what is...then they eventually ask what size outboard I use on it and gasp when I tell them 15hp! Sure is fun to ride in although it's more than a little adventerous without any weight in the bow! (not sure what the top speed is I always forget my gps, but I've ran 20 exactly in probably 1ft chop so I know it will go faster than that on flat water)

Be sure to post some pictures here or on your blog when you get out in your metzler sometime.

Cheers!

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: My new/old Metzeler Maya S

Re: My new/old Metzeler Maya S

I sent the Metzeler documents out today, let me know if they get there OK, and if you have any problem opening them we can try something different.

I am really looking forward to you exceeding the maximum weight limits of your boat with a Trophy Moose!

As much as I enjoy cruising the rivers in Europe, it is not the same as what you get to see. It makes me home sick in a good way to see those photos. Keep them coming.

There are a few new photos on the Blog from last weekend, and I hope the weather holds out, and I can get some new ones this weekend.

We are supposed to be part of a boat parade next weekend in Frankfurt for the opening of the Museum Row Festival on the Main river. It runs late and our boat has no lights, so I might go with some friends, but either way there will be photos.

Cheers

P.S. The 15hp stories makes me want one. Last weekend a guy at our launch, ask if I wanted to try his old Evinrude 30hp on it, but I think that is a bit much for this boat. I was really tempted though. :cool:

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Do you know if ?dverstege? ever found the tubes he was looking for, for his Markant?

There is a company here (Germany) that will make him new ones, or recondition his old ones, and might still have access to new originals.

They do a lot of work for the German Army on their SIB/RIB's.

Dunno, but it's worth telling people about them.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

The day started off cold and clear, and I was determined to go boating. Well it just got worse and worse.

Went ahead loaded and launched the boat while our launch friends were all coming in. They said we were crazy, and I just said, uh hu.

Here is a shot of a friend who was just bringing his boat in, and I let him play with mine while I unloaded the rest of the car.

stormy-weather+030.JPG

At this point we are running WOT, trying to outrun a really big, bad *** storm, with a 6hp motor. You can see some blue sky still out front of us.

stormy-weather+162.JPG

stormy-weather+209.JPG

Turning around, you see the hard core guys. There here every weekend rain or shine.

stormy-weather+195.JPG

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Well you don't get the bad part because I put the camera back in the dry bag, and put on the wet weather gear we brought just in case. It was freezing in August! What a crappy summer!

Back at the launch. Soaked to the bone & cold. Lots of wave action, beating rain, heavy wind! Had a blast!

stormy-weather+286.JPG

stormy-weather+287.JPG

stormy-weather+288.JPG

That hot shower felt great after four hours of cold driving rain. Sorry no photos of that. :rolleyes:

JPTL

Seaman

I know that this is a somewhat old thread, but I had a question relating to powering a Maya S. Maybe some of you who still have your boats can weigh in:

I have an Evinrude 15 that I hung on the back of my Maya last year. I was concerned about the amount of torque that the outboard was putting on the transom, the transom mounts and the tubes - even at moderate speed. I'm used to the Avon/Zodiac transoms that are permanently attached to the tubes and seem do a better job of spreading out the torque/twist that the outboard puts on the transom/tubes - particularly before planing.
In the orginal paperwork, I see an optional trim kit that appears to serve the purpose of helping the boat plane faster and possibly relieving the stress on the transom and mounts. I'm guessing that it was a varnished piece of marine ply with stainless 'hangers' that mounted thru the transom holes.
Does anyone have this trim 'platform' kit on their Metzler?