125 Force, how many real Horses.

northendbob

Cadet
I've asked around and can not get a straight answer. I've been told the real Hp is around 85-88. This seems really low, can any one give me their input.
I'm thinking of repowering. My baby is a 1989 Wellcraft 180 Sportsman CC. I both fish and pull water toys with her. Advice is needed.. I can get to about 27 mph?. I don't trust my speedo or tach. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 Force, how many real Horses.

You don't mention the year of the motor.If it's the same as the boat.1989/125 it is about 120hp. If it's tuned and running right. How many rpm at wot?
Do a compression test. They should be within 5-10# of each other.List results.
As far as speed get a hand held GPS.It will tell the truth.List the results of the 2 questions.Jerry

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I love to bash and demean Forces as well as anybody but the idea that Forces are over-rated compared to other engines is a myth.

Before the mid-80s almost all outboards were rated at the flywheel, after that they are all rated at the prop. That includes Force.

Whatever criticisms I may have about the technology in Force engines I would expect a 125 Force from the late 80s to perform about as well as any other 125 from the period.

If I were looking for a 125 from that period I would definitely choose a JohnnyRude V4, but not because I expected it to be measurably faster.

northendbob

Cadet

Thanks guys, the motor is a 1989 as well. Out on the river WOT on the Tach reads 7400. I know thats too high, I have put more prop a Stainless Steel 17 pitch. That is why I don't think the tach is accurate. I'm going to take it to a shop for a compression test this week.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Once the engine is running correctly and delivering its horsepower: With a 19 pitch stainless (uncupped) prop on an 18 foot CC and somewhere in the range of 4500-5500 RPM, I would expect a minimum of 35 MPH. If lucky you should be able to touch 40 if running light with only one or two persons.

And yes, the engine does produce somewhere around 125 HP. However, you will find that because of gearing in the lower unit, it will not run as fast as an equivalent Evinrude or Mercury. Evinrude delivers its horsepower to the water more efficiently through a larger diameter prop, and Mercury was and probably still is under-rated. They probably produce 10% more HP than their rating.