1996 Evinrude Outboard

amazinthing

Cadet
I have a 1996 Evinrude that is a 50Hp motor. It will not crank over... there is a fuel turn on switch on a part that shoots fuel out. It has like a valve cap on this part I think is bad... Looks like something (air) goes into it to create some type of fuel pressure? It has something to do with the fuel system... LMK if there are any ideas out there of what it could be

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Evinrude Outboard

you need to clairify your statement. will the starter not turn the flywheel. it sounds like the part you are speak of is the primer soleniod, it replaced the choke butterfly in the carb, and is controlled by pushing in on the key. the fitting is for decarbing the engine. nothing to do with starting. they red lever should be inline and back over the body of the solenoid. like this

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1

JB

Go to the Engine FAQs, do "Outboard won't start" and let us know what you find.

nhtrax

Seaman Apprentice

That part you discribe sounds like the primer seleoide valve which looks a air fitting on a bike tube

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to remove the 4 screws and the cover will come off and then the red valve will pull out .The new one comes with instructions read them cuz there is a small nipple that you don't want to break.That red valve cracks all the time,the new one is priced at maybe 10.00 if I remember right.

JB

Old thread, guys. I think he has solved his problem or gave up by now.