johnson vro fuel pump

i have a 1990 johnson 40hp vro but i need to get a new fuel pump.the vro system has been disconnected and i was wondering which non vro fuel pump would fit it and where could i get it

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson vro fuel pump

Just went to premix on my 1985 140hp looper. The original VRO finally started giving troubles on the first day of our vacation. Installed a 1982 140hp pump, disconnected the VRO system, had to make an adapter bracket plate for the new pump so it would fit, disconnect warning for the oil flow and all is well. Happy with it so far and now I know as long as I put oil in with the gas it is getting there.

mlwestbrooks

Cadet

I need to do the same thing on my 1984 Evinrude 115HP. Is the 0438557 the correct one? Or is there a cheaper one. I have already figured out the bracket.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To mlwestbrooks: You should find a mounting spot, complete with threaded holes for the two screws, on the port side of your intake manifold. You just remove the threaded plug and add the gasket and fuel pump, # 438,556.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I went with the OMC replacement ($82:00). Main reason was that I was on vacation and wanted the boat in service and the local dealer had one. They could have got me the aftermarket version for $56:00 but it could have taken 2 days to get. Small price to pay to keep the boat rocking and rolling with only 4 hours downtime. They also had the "correct oil/fuel pump for $508:00 !!
The decision was basically a "no brainer"
Just so I know, how are the aftermarket pumps ???? in case there is a next time.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Also the extra gas for the vehicle to go again to get it would have made about a $5:00 saving !!!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck and let us all know how you make out.

mlwestbrooks

Cadet

To mlwestbrooks: You should find a mounting spot, complete with threaded holes for the two screws, on the port side of your intake manifold. You just remove the threaded plug and add the gasket and fuel pump, # 438,556.

I know you know your stuff. Just want to make sure. I got my Fuel Pump today and it says for 25-55hp. Will this pump enough gas (or pressure) for my 115HP.
And I did find the mounting place. Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

mlwestbrooks

Cadet

Thank you ever so much. Will mount it when I get home tomorrow.
Did not doubt you. The writing on the box thew me off.:D