1989 Johnsons 90hp

sinclair67

Cadet
I have a poontoon and I am having problems with the motor. In runs well in the choke position and as soon as the choke is taken off the motor dies. I have to prime the fuel bulb again and this it cranks up in the choke position and as soon as I take the choke off and try to put it in gear the engine dies. Help me please

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnsons 90hp

First of all you may want to repost in the Johnson engine forum so someone will answer you question, not many people come in here.

I would say off the top of my head it is dirty carbs.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree dirty carbs. moving to johnson.

sinclair67

Cadet
1989 Johnsons 90hp

I am new and not very good with computers so please bare with me on this email if it is not in the right forum: I have a Johnsons 90hp that cranks when the prime bulb is filled and then cuts off when I take the choke off to put it in gear. I then have to prime it again and the same thing occurs. can anyone help:

sinclair67

Cadet

I am not good with the computer and the site is a little confusing as to posting a Johnsons 90 hp with problems... what do you mean go to another forum??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

read the post above yours. you were posted in the wrong forum. i moved your post to the correct forum. get a manual or take it to the shop for a complete carb cleaning and rebuild. that should solve your problems. read this please

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=250879

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something don't sound right.

When you say you are "choking" the motor, are you pushing the key in and engaging the choke and then releasing the choke and trying to put it in gear OR, are you telling us that the throttle is "disengaged" and you are reving the motor and when you stop reving and try to put it in gear, the motor dies?