77 Johnson 85 tilt and trim

MarkinOK

Recruit
I have been working through some tilt/trim issues with this boat I just picked up. Have replaced the fuse and solenoid, the pump motor runs when activating the trim/tilt switch. The motor will go up just fine, but won't go down, it acts like it wants to (a little movement) but nothing. Checked the fluid and it is full. Any thoughts.

Thanks,

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 77 Johnson 85 tilt and trim

Its a big help to get a service manual, they're still available.

http://12.2.215.22/pub/default.asp?SessionId=4481b9438f56422d8888b742bd8d3090&Lang=EN&brands=EJ

look for part #96 , a manual relief valve in the botom of the tilt pump, if its the prestolite model., loosen it and cycle the leg up and down by hand, tighten it and top up the fluid, see if that works.

Had to put a wrench on a square screwdriver shaft to loosen my valve, it has to be very tight when you're done too. around 50lbs on mine.
Trying to loosen the screw valve with just a screwdriver didn't work, it takes some force to crack it loose.

MarkinOK

Recruit
Re: 77 Johnson 85 tilt and trim

Thanks for the information about the pressure relief, although I have tried that (maybe not patient enough), I'll give it a try again. Could there be some internal valve that is not opening during tilt down cycle? And how do you remove the assembly. I've taken out all the bolts and the main pin for the center cylinder but there doesn't seem to be enough space to pull it out of the transom mount.

Mark