1984 35hp Evinrude Low Speed Miss

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice
Just developed a low speed miss. It seems to idle fine and runs and sounds good at WOT, but in between it skips a beat inconsistantly. Where to start??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 35hp Evinrude Low Speed Miss

Spark plugs?

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice

Changed the plugs (Champ L77JC4) and wires (Magstar Marine Pro) Rebuilt carb last week. Can't see any cracks or deterioration on the coils. No change. What now??

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Find the tests to check the power pack and coils with resistance tests with a DVM. I just replaced the coils on my 81 johnson 60 hp, and a power pack cause they did not do it the Power pack solved my problem. But i had done everything else i could think of. My problem was a random cutout like an electrical problem, with no restart for say 5-10 mins, then it would start and run fine. I figured on a motor this old that new ones would not hurt, (actually i had one coil as a spare and just bought another and changed them and kept the ohters as spares) also if i took it to the dealer mecanic they said it would be $100 or so to trouble shoot the power pack ( i suspected it as bad) the darn thing only cost me like $53 + shipping ($6), so the way i saw it i got a new one and saved myself $40. The power pack was the problem so far no cut out and it starts easier now where it use to be hard to start sometimes cold and if you choked it wrong you could flood it easily. Must not have had a hotenough spark?

-nate

Test though just dont throw parts in my case i only had around $100 in coil and Powerpack, and now i have new electricals on my motor as well as a new wire harness, B/c of a previous owner rewire and wire deterioration.