in line six engine removal

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi i just bought a 19ft glastron mercruiser 165 with cracked block and want to put in another engine. can it be removed without taking off sterndrive? and how does the engine actually connect to outdrive? coupler, torque converter? ive never done one before and would really appreciate any help. thanks ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: in line six engine removal

can it be removed without taking off sterndrive?

Yea, you can probably get off without damage when removing the drive, but to put it back in, you MUST have the drive off and all the pieces in the mounts installed correcty. What year is this 165 and is it a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?
My suggestion is don't mess with it without a manual, and I can give you a link to one if I knew what you really have.

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks man. it is a 1978 inline chevy six 250

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks don i will probably just buy those manuals that is way too much to copy. just one question. does the outdrive and engine connect to each other or is there an intermediate connection?[transet plate maybe?] thanks ken

Bondo

Staff member

does the outdrive and engine connect to each other or is there an intermediate connection?

Ayuh,....

The Input shaft of the Outdrive slides into the Coupler splines, which is Bolted to the Flywheel....

Pull the Drive 1st, then the Motor lifts straight Up.....

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,....

The Input shaft of the Outdrive slides into the Coupler splines, which is Bolted to the Flywheel....

Pull the Drive 1st, then the Motor lifts straight Up.....

thanks. so you cant pull the motor forward then up? or would it be just too much of a pain in the @#$ i guess im just afraid to pull the outdrive, hell i dont even know where the bolts are. need to see some good pics i guess.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you could pull the motor foward, than straight up if you've got the room. But like Don tells you, you need to re-install the engine first and the drive second.
Look at it this way, the engine and drive need to be aligned when it's all together. And the way its done is to align the engine to the drive, not the drive to the engine. So the drive has to come off either way.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

The Rear Motor Mounts are designed for the motor to be lifted Straight Up,+ to be set Straight Down......

The Outdrive is only held on by the 6, 5/8" Nuts you see,+ the Trim Rams....
And,.... Reinstallation only requires a Less than $10.00 Gasket Set.....

Download the Manual,+ you'll see what We're talking about....

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,...

The Rear Motor Mounts are designed for the motor to be lifted Straight Up,+ to be set Straight Down......

The Outdrive is only held on by the 6, 5/8" Nuts you see,+ the Trim Rams....
And,.... Reinstallation only requires a Less than $10.00 Gasket Set.....

Download the Manual,+ you'll see what We're talking about....

just got off ebay. i seen outdrives and realized they are bolted on at the outside of boat not the inside as i first thought. the part that i was afriad od gettinto i guess is called the gimball whih looks like that stays on the boat[thank god] now that im pretty sure i can handle this project what are my options as far as a replacment engine. it is a chevy 250 inline now, will anything else fit? thanks ken

Bondo

Staff member

what are my options as far as a replacment engine. it is a chevy 250 inline now,

Ayuh,....

Without doing Awhole Lot of Swapping,+ fitting,...

Another I6, 250 Chevy of the Same Vintage is your Only Choice......

Some pickup truck,+ van motors will Fit, but you have to be Careful,....
Some of them don't have the holes from the front motor mount...

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,....

Without doing Awhole Lot of Swapping,+ fitting,...

Another I6, 250 Chevy of the Same Vintage is your Only Choice......

Some pickup truck,+ van motors will Fit, but you have to be Careful,....
Some of them don't have the holes from the front motor mount...

got ya. thanks for all the helpful info guys. think im going to check into a remanufactured one unless i can get lucky and find a nice used one.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I just rebuilt one for my dad's boat - it's a great engine. Simple, dependable, easy to work on. You definitely want to stay with the inline six.

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just rebuilt one for my dad's boat - it's a great engine. Simple, dependable, easy to work on. You definitely want to stay with the inline six.

yea im thinking the same thing, pretty much a bullit proof it you take care of them

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys. that was a piece of cake less than 50min. motor is ready to lift out. now need to find a motor