Need help

johnnystrong

Recruit
I recently inherited a 25" 1999 Crest Pontoon with no owners manual. I need to know a few basic on the johnson 115 engine like what kind of oil and fuel do i use. Sorry, I know nothing about boats. Can anyone help?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help

A manual for the pontoon will be of little help since it does not cover the engine. You can find operators and maintenance manuals on-line. What you need to know is that you have a 2stroke engine. Two stroke engines fall into two basic categories regarding fuel and oil. Oil Injected engines have an oil tank mounted near the engine. Non oil injected engines must have the oil mixed with the fuel at a ratio of 50:1 which equates to a pint of oil in six gallons of fuel. Your engine when manufactured was oil injected but some folks opted to remove that feature and mix the oil and fuel, supposedly to eliminate the possibility of engine failure do an oil injection system failure. So check your boat and make sure the oil resevoir is still there. It's about a foot long, 8 inches high and 6 inches or so wide. That tank must be kept full (or reasonably full) of two stroke outboard oil which will have the designation TCW-3 on the label. DO NOT use plain two-stroke chain saw, weed whacker or lawn mower oil. Always look for the TCW-3 oil. Any brand is OK to use although the synthetics and semi-synthetcs produce less smoke and are better for the environment. There should be a hose from that tank to the engine. If it is still connected, you should be good to go. If its not there, even though the tank is present, you will need to have things reconnected and verified operational, or you MUST premix the oil and fuel.