Atwood A500 livewell pump for thru-hull application?

randys

Seaman Apprentice
The 500gph bait well pump was burned out on '94 Spectrum I recently purchased. The pump is mounted through hull, on port side of the keel-rise from the sump pump on the inside lower transom. Pump takes in fresh water, and pushes it through a 3/4" hose to a tank in the bow.

Having no other convenient local options, I purchased an Atwood A500 "Live well Aeration" pump in a kit form. It has the same fittings and general shape as the original, and it could be sealed in place of the original. Once I get it home, I open the package and read the instructions. The pump is intended for live well tanks that have no aeration. The pump is meant to be mounted through the side of the tank and simply recirculate the water in the tank. The directions clearly state that the pump can be occasionally wet, but do not get the wires wet. The rep at the marine store said it would work for what I wanted.

The size is about the same, but this pump is about 1/3 the weight of the original pump. The new pump has a tiny motor inside. This is not the "Typhoon" model. I can't find a web site for Atwood, not that I want to lose the weekend's boating, waiting for Monday to talk to an Atwood rep.

If I mount the A500 in the thru-hull hole of the original, then there will be times when the wires at the pump motor connection will be under bilge water.

Is pump actually water tight and suitable for use thru-hull?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Atwood A500 livewell pump for thru-hull application?

"rep at the marine store said it would work for what I wanted."
AAAHHHH..
My friend...if you conducted a poll..asking how accurate the information received at ANY chain Marine store was,i think you will find 75% inaccurate, as we say down South -
Bless there little hearts....
Do the research yourself and save some gas....:D:D:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree some of the people there have never stepped foot on a boat.

randys

Seaman Apprentice

"rep at the marine store said it would work for what I wanted."
AAAHHHH..
My friend...if you conducted a poll..asking how accurate the information received at ANY chain Marine store was,i think you will find 75% inaccurate, as we say down South -
Bless there little hearts....
Do the research yourself and save some gas....:D:D:D

I don't understand. I thought pimply face, high squeeky voice, and nose ring were a universal sign of "highly paid chain store floor sales person". Actually, it was the parts guy at a local boat and supply store.