'93 Johnson 40HP Issues

Hooli

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know where I can get a service manual for a '93 Johnson 40? I see the link above to buy a printed one, but need one on line preferably as I need it asap. ANyone know of one online? Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '93 Johnson 40HP Service Manual

Not available online, Hooli. If you gotta have it now go to the library.

Don S.

Cadet

Anyone know where I can get a service manual for a '93 Johnson 40? I see the link above to buy a printed one, but need one on line preferably as I need it asap. ANyone know of one online? Thanks!

Ken Cook Co. I just purchased a factory service manual and parts catalog for my '71 100Hp Rude.

Hooli

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '93 Johnson 40HP No Fire

Re: '93 Johnson 40HP No Fire

Ok, while I am waiting on a service manual, I have the above engine that hasn't been run in about 15 months (father in-law). I have emptied the gas tank and put fresh fuel, drained the carbs, cleared all fuel lines, and no fire. The plugs look good, but when I pull the plug and lay it against the engine to ground, it does not fire. I am pretty sure it is grounded enough, but no fire. Where should I go with a multimeter?

Second, the primer solenoid is spurting fuel when the primer button is pushed. I pulled it off and all looks ok, so I have to assume it is the O-Ring. What the heck is the red plastic and schraeder valve for??

Any help would be appreciated . .

Thanks!

Mark

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Red plastic is manual primer. the Schraeder valve is for winterizing (injecting fogging oil) ... you need an owner's manual also.

Hooli

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '93 Johnson 40HP Issues

What about the no spark / fire issue? Anyone know what to test? What is a power pack? Is that just a coil? I am intimately familiar with 2 stroke motorcycle engines and 4 stroke car engines, but not boat engines. Any suggestions?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Power pack is not a coil ... it's a CD ignition system. Parts of ignition system are stator (under flywheel) produces ignition primary voltage, then to PP, on to coil(s), spark plug wires and then the plugs. If both cylinders lack spark, the PP or the stator is what to check. A remote possibility is flywheel magnets also. Both are expensive, so you don't want to just throw parts at it.

I think the CDI Rapair website has info for troubleshooting both, but a shop manual can prove invaluable.

Hooli

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, please forgive my ignorance, but what/where is the CDI Repair Website? I could not agree more with your signature, and I have a repair manual for everything I own, except this boat I got this week. Just trying to get it to fire to run this weekend.