Won't start, just clicks..

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
OK.. everything has been fine with the 1997 3.0L Merc LX since we bought it. Today we shut it off, and when we attempted to start it again, it would just click. Not the click by the starter motor.. it seems to be coming from either the red dot circuit breaker, or the solenoid mounted just below it.

All battery terminal connections are fine, new battery, everything else works fine. Double checked all connections.. everything is clean and tight.

What gives, and how do I start testing?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Won't start, just clicks..

Wow, what a life saver! Thank you so much Don..

*duh* for not searching.. I'm usually better than that!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks a million again, Don. Got out there first thing this morning and followed your directions and quickly identified a bad starter.

I thought for sure it was the solenoid as I've never seen a starter just go like that.. usually they get worse and worse and finally blow but this one was fine one day and gone the next!

FYI for anyone else out there, changing it is cake.. 2 bolts, pops right out.

Matches up to a 96 Impala SS starter motor. $99 with a lifetime warranty at Autozone and yes.. the guy was a boat owner and knew it was for marine and said no worries, we'll give you a new one as many times as you burn that one out.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you bench test the old one?

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

If that's not a marine starter you may have to find it after your boat blows sky high to get the warranty.

That is worse case obviously.

If it's not a marine starter, it is against the law, not to mention the safety of you, yours, and those around you.

I too am replacing a starter tommorrow (ordered today) Mine costs $180.00, don't know if that is good or bad but weather looks good tommorrow so gotta get it where I can as quickly as I can. My local parts house also had an automotive starter that is the "same". Cheaper too, but even though I don't have cash falling out of my pockets, I chose the marine version and a day's wait for it.

Good luck.

DougV>

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

The cheapest one that I found was $349..

I know it's bad, and I know it doesn't make it right, but most everyone that I know of including my own mechanic uses a car starter. We sat and compared this one to the old one, and darn if it didn't match in every way except for the extra material around the nosecone.. a 4x4 type to keep a little grime out on the old one. This one was a little more open.

Would anyone be able to exactly define the differences between a "marine" starter motor and an "automotive" one?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

A marine starter has built in spark protections that an automobile starter does not. No big deal in a car as the gas fumes simply go away - in a boat the fumes settle in the bilge and can create an explosive setting just waiting for a stray spark - in this case from your starter.

I too understand not wanting to spend more than you have to - but this is not an area to scimp.

Do you not have a reputable starter / alternator repair shop in your area? If so, take your old starter to them and have it rebuilt. (That's assuming your old starter was a marine starter - you can ask at the shop).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I've used an auto starter before without any issues. Not to say it's right, but it is done. Of course, Always make sure the blowers have been operating prior to starting and I've always heard / read that it's better to lift the doghouse or sunpad and sniff for fumes.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

You're being Penny Wise with your starter,...
And,... Pound Foolish with your Safety.....

chiefalen

Captain

You looked on e-bay and couldn't find a starter for under a 100 bucks?

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-O is trying to be nice. Safety is the FIRST rule of thumb for a boater, which you're are claiming to be by owning a boat. What you have done by putting a starter on your boat that is not built to marine standards, is basically put a loaded gun to your passengers head without them even knowing. Each soul on board of your boat is depending on you doing the right thing, REGARDLESS OF COST. You wanted the damn thing, now pay the price. I am totally surprised at the lack of consideration you and those like you have towards those you offer a ride, and not let them know that it is a death trap. If something should happen, let it be known the SOLE RESPONSIBILITY rest on your shoulders for the injuries, the insurance company will not pay. Too many people treat their boat as a toy, and it is just as lethal as a loaded gun in the wrong hands.
It isn't just about the money, it's more about the ones you love.

By the way, I have witnessed a boat exploding, not from the starter, but failing to turn on the blower. Not only the fool's boat sank, but 3 others as well, and no insurance. I'm sure that guy's still paying for 4 boats.