Alpha I question from a new guy..HARD TO STEER!!!

velocity280

Recruit
I have a 2000 Bayliner Capri w/ a Merc 3.0 and a Alpha I outdrive. It's hard to steer. I disconnected the steering linkage (it is fine) and the outdrive is hard to turn left and right when you stand behind the boat. I guess you can't grease the 2 steering pivot points on the gimble (?) housing? How do I free up the outdrive so I can steer the boat with ease. Any advice will be helpful!
Thanks! Glen

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha I question from a new guy..HARD TO STEER!!!

When you disconnected the steering cable, was the steering wheel difficult to turn? If so, you could have a corroded steering cable. I was a non-believer at first, bought a reman power steering pump and installed it......no fix......the steering cable was the answer.

The only issue I have with my diagnosis is that your boat doesn't seem old enough to have this happen yet. But unless you try to turn the wheel at the helm with the cable disconnected, you won't know.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

When I bought my boat a few years ago it too had hard steering issues. It has sit up for a number of years and was tight. I sprayed the pivot points well, lubed them up and went boating. It loosened up in pretty short order.

By the way - there should be grease zerts on the housing. You will have three - one for the top, one for the gimbal bearing, and one for the bottom.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lube it and work it, it should loosen up. ;)

And welcome to I-boats:)