How do I tell if early or later carb is the right one?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Johnson's website lists an early and later (337833)carburetor top cover for a 1992 9.9hp J10Rena. The first costs about $60 and the later one costs $8. Can I assume the later one is a superceded part? Neither is the original part number 334050). Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I tell if early or later carb is the right one?

#336049 for the "early" is superceded by 433973, listed as a "kit". I assume that is a kit to update the early to the late and explains the extra cost, if it's safe to assume. That still doesn't answer your question, do you already have the "late"? Dang if I know.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Not the same part, serial munber break, sometimes. Orignal paper parts book or service bulletins had this info.

iwombat

Captain

If memory serves, the early tops were prone to warping, they fixed it with the later design and superseded the part #.

I'm 90% certain you want the later top.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

Marine Parts Outlet sent the later one. I tried to describe it over the phone so I am not sure. They fouled 2-3 things up and still trying to get it straightened out.

I'm wondering if the kit has anything else important in it now. I would think all the other parts would be the same. Different gaskets? Will have to ask them that.

I have the later part. There is a solid spindle that holds the cam roller instead of a bolt that screws into the side. The bolt must have come lose and messed up the threads. Then while trying to tighted it the plastic broke. Isn't plastic great?