New project - '63? Aero Craft

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I started working on the MFG, I find myself enjoying this stuff. I happen to know where I might be able to snag an old Aero Craft for nothing. It's been sitting out in front of an old woman's house for a couple of years now. Thought I'd check into it. It's her son's and she "Wants the damn thing outa here." A good sign. I stopped in at her son's house, but he won't be around until tomorrow. So I took some pics to see what you guys thought.

I think, when finished that it would make a great complement to something like an old Chevy Belair in the same color scheme. Here's the pics...

00000005_edited.jpg

00000006_edited.jpg

00000002_edited.jpg

00000004_edited.jpg

00000008_edited.jpg

It'll need a new transom and floor, the seats redone, and the finish, chrome, and Aluminum Cleaned up. The Hull, and cap appear to be in good condition. It also looks like the last time it may have been in the water was last year. Somebody brush painted it with what looks to be Rustoleum. It doesn't look like it stuck very well and the glass underneath it looks like it might actually be in pretty good condition. When it's completed it should look like this...

aerocraft63b004.jpg

Unfortunately minus the girl.

So whadaya think?

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Possible new project - '63? Aero Craft

looks cool, id take it for free. sounds like you already know to be prepared for a complete floor transom and stringer job. just for the cool looks of the boat i would even consider paying as much as 200 for it considering the glass appears to still be in good condition. although i paid 250 for my 58 glasspar project boat im working on now but it came with a trailer.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a trailer I can use with it from about the same time period. How about some more opinions! Were these things pieces of junk in their day or something. Not getting many reassuring replies on this.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i have no idea, but whatever the manufacture could have screwed up can be fixed, if you like the hull design and the looks go for it, i can guarantee you it will ride better than your tri hull. looks like is in slightly better shape than my glasspar when i brought it home. (i was going to post some pics but didn't want to steal your thread) but i don't regret it, just keep in mind the work its going to take to get it going.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in a heart beat. the windshield is worth $300. i just did a 1966 Sportcraft Sportsman. built my own seats. everything.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A long time ago, my Dad had a boat very similar to this one and yes, it did ride and handle great. I think that's part of it's appeal to me. I know the MFG will smack us around a bit in choppy water but it will make a more stable fishing platform and have more room to move around in.

From a parts standpoint, it looks like the AeroCraft still has all of its original chrome and aluminum so I think that probably makes it a little more valuable. There is a small crack in the lower corner of the windshield on the starboard side. Don't know if it can be repaired or not. It's not that big of a deal though.

I do like the styling of it and if I can get it back to an original look, I think it would be a head turner on the water.

Gonna go see the guy that owns it later on today and see if I can weasle my way into a free AeroCraft!

Thanks guys!

jcsercsa

Captain

HI , Nice ride she would make a great project , just one thing , you can get the title for her ???????? John

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I came down here to PA from Western NY I brought my '57 Crestliner with me. In NY, a boat under 16 ft. didn't need a title so the boat never had one. When I went to register it here in PA, they gave me some crap over the capacity rating but not the title. I had to fill out a form with measurements of the boat, send it in, and wait. They sent me a new capacity plate in about 10 days. I afixed it to the boat and then I was good to go. Capacity 6 people. Duh! That's all you could possibly fit in it uncomfortably.

I'm expecting the same sort of thing with the AeroCraft. The MFG should be gtg because it still has a good plate in it. Just gotta hunt down the hull ID. The serial No. on the plate may be sufficient. Will have that same problem with the AeroCraft. I didn't see a plate on it anywhere.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well folks, I stopped by the guy's place this morning and tried to weasle it out of him for free. For some odd reason he thought the boat was in pretty good shape! I explained to him all that needed to be done so then he says, "well, no, I'll probably pull the chrome stuff off of it and put it on that other boat that's sitting outside." Of course in my head I was saying "Idiot." But he seemed firm on his decision so I thanked him for his time and left.

It was really bugging the hell out of me that he was going to dismantle a classic with all of the original accesories and put them on another boat that was also in pretty bad shape. I couldn't help myself, I went back.

"So, hey, I hate to bug ya again, but would you sell it? "Well, yeah, I might do that. Make me an offer." "Well geeze, I don't know. My intention is to fully restore it back to showroom condition and that's gonna be a LOT of work. I wouldn't even begin to know what to offer ya for it." So the guy sits and thinks for a moment. Then he looks at me and says, "How about 35 bucks?" My brain is going nuts. 35! Just 35!! This guy is an idiot. Hell the Bow light's worth more than that! So, doing the best I could to contain myself, put a contemplative look on and then said, "Yeah, I guess 35's doable." He'll deliver it too!!

So guys it's mine. No idea when I'll get started on it but it's mine!

CATransplant

Admiral

Good job of bargaining, there! :D

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

LMAO!!! someone isn't the brightest apple that fell from the tree.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious. When the guy said "Make me an offer." I'm thinking to myself, well hell, he wouldn't give it away, it does need a lot of work, 100? 200? Then he chimes in with "How about 35?." I swear I almost sh_t myself. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything!

As it turns out the dumbass gave it away anyhow! And is going to deliver it! Go figure.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

if i was that guy i would have given it away and said you haul before id offer to haul it for 35 bucks. dry loading a boat on a trailer is worth more than 35 bucks to me. of course i have an hotshot bissness that i do on the side, id probably charge 100 or more depending on the size to dry load a boat before i even towed it anywhere. of course possibly he just needed some beer and cigarette money.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which is exactly what I offered initially. Gotta be beer and smokes! Can't think of anything else it could be. Hell, you can't even buy a decent amount of **** for that these days!

edit: we do not discuss that on iboats. TD.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i paid $150, for my boat above, and it had a 50 mercury on it. which i sold for $150, and it had no spark.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TD, nice job on that Sportsman. And you obviously couldn't beat the deal. Even got you money back from a non-running motor! Now THAT's some salesmanship! I did look it over earlier. Looks great and I bet it's a helluva fishing machine. The Bimini looks great on it too. Nice touch. Did you do the vinyl work on the seats? Was it hard? I'm gonna have to do the same thing with this AeroCraft. Got a lot to do before I get to that point though. If the AeroCraft comes out half as nice as yours I'll be happy! With the MFG I'm working on right now, I'm not that concerned about the aesthetics. I plan on putting it through fishin' hell so right now functionality is my focus. The AeroCraft, hopefully, will be a working showpiece. I'm really hoping I can get it to look mostly like the Brochure Pic. Just gotta keep an eye out for a motor. Apparently Evinrude made a motor specifically for these also dubbed the Lark with electric start and choke. That's gonna be a toughie.

Oh, and sorry about ****. Didn't realize it would be a no-no.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Evinrude motor is that? Looks like one I just sold on EBay. 28 hp speeditwin. Congrats on a neat find.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

To answer Driven1, the upholstery is a really straightforward repair. The console seat and headrest in my boat were bad. Since I had a history of converting new vans in the 70's I had a feel for what I needed to do. And a lady in the neighborhood advertised for sewing jobs. She used her commercial machine and the old vinyl as a pattern. I got the marine vinyl at Jo-Annes fabrics(chain store) and for $25 she did the console seat ahd headrest. I used the old wood as a pattern, two coats of marine varnish to protect it and a Arrow T-50 with 1/2" stainless staples to put it all back together. I kept it all white, but she offered to sew in a pattern or colored stripes, etc. If you have a lot to do and some time, take the vinyl only out to some upholstery shops and get some quotes for the vinyl work only. By the way, they sell the foam in different thickness at these fabric/sewing shops as well.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not 100% sure what exactly the one is shown in the Brochure Pic. I tried blowing it up. Didn't help. I thought perhaps it may have been an Evinrude Lark. In an earlier post I stated that Evinrude apparently made a motor specifically for this boat but as it turns out that isn't true. The Evinrude Lark Models were around long before this boat was and are fairly easy to find. I'm still trying to figure out what motor that is that's pictured. It may not even be an Evinrude. In '67 their brochures featured Merc's hung on the boats.

This particular boat is rated up to 50 hp.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info on the Vinyl TriuphRick. I was thinking that it would take a commercial machine. I'll have to hit the yellopages and see what I can find when I'm ready. Thanks!