1989 force 125 help

Camanuch

Cadet
I am having problems with my engine. The problem is, my #2 cylinder is not fireing to full potential. I think. I can not get the engine over 3000RPM. The carbs were just rebuilt. I am changing the fuel water separator. When at idle it runs smooth and when in gear its fine. But when you give it gas it feels like its starving. Any suggestions. I by the way I have one blue and one black coil pack if that makes a difference. And we did the stator.

Camanuch

Cadet
Re: 1989 force 125 help

Yes compression test was done. I'm getting 150lbs per cylinder.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Check all hoses and lines.There could be a bad ball.Or a bad connection.Remove all quick connects.The tank pick-up could be clogged.
Test the plugs.Pull each one and hold it against the block.Use the same plug on all 4 leads.Measure the spark and see what you get.Jerry

Camanuch

Cadet

the ball is bran new. How do I measure the spark. Also when I pulled out the plugs to do the compression test all looked evenly used except for cylinder #2. It looked bran new. I did the spark plugs the begining of the year. By the way the boat was sitting for like 2 seasons.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Use 1 plug for this.Take the plugs out and put the plug in #1 wire and ground it against the block.Turn the motor over and check for spark.Do this on all 4 cyl.use the same plug.Still no spark on #2 ? then check the grounds on wires. If no problem with the grounds then change leads to check the coils.
If no spark still on #2 then your pack is probably bad. No positively but likely.
You need to get a peak reading volt meter and a manual to test the stator/trigger.Jerry

Camanuch

Cadet

I'm getting spark when I jump out the wire using a screw drive to the block. We replaced the stator/trigger. I am going to check with a volt meter. I think I am leaning towards a fuel problem I hope. I really don't want to have to pull the fly wheel again. But if I have to I will. Will track from plug back now.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should re test your compression. If your number 2 plug is clean and the others are dirty that is sounding like a blown head gasket. Take spark plug 2 and move it to a different cylinder. Take the dirtiest of the other three and put that one in number 2. Run it for awhile then look at number 2 and see if it is now clean. When you spark test each cylinder it is best to use a screw stuck in the plug wire and then measure the distance you can make that spark jump. A spark tester is an easier way to do this. If cylinders 1,3.4 can jump 3/4 inch and unit 2 can only jump 1/8 inch you have a spark problem.

If spark test and compression test work fine try removing the bowl on the #2 carb and see if it is filled with gas. Maybe take that carb off and try inverting it and then placing it up right while blowing into the hose to verify that the needle is opening and closing.