Throtle controls

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have another question from a newbie to power boating. I bought a 93 Tracker DV17 with a Johnson 90 hp. The controls don't have a lever on top that you can throtle up while starting the motor. It's only a single handle with the tilt/trim button on the end. Is there a way to throtle up the motor without putting it in gear? I'm getting closer to getting this thing on the water! Thanks for your help.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Throtle controls

I had a single lever setup on a boat before. On mine, I was able to pull the shifter outwards away from its base to disengage the shifting mechanism. Not sure if yours is like that or not.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some you tilt, or pull toward you, some have a button in the middle of the handle, that you push, and move the handle forward.

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if mine tilts or pulls out but i'll have a look when i get home. Is it possible it's got some leaway in the forward motion for reving it up before it actuall engages the gears? I'll have to try that with the mufflers on to see how much movement I may have. Thanks guys.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Is it possible it's got some leaway in the forward motion for reving it up before it actuall engages the gears?
No! They are supposed to go in gear at idle RPM, the other way around would suck bigtime . . . :eek: Try pulling out the base as described above. Maybe it was replaced with that style at one time . . .

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Doh!!!! Now that you mentioned it it does make sense. I'll try the pull method again and see if that works. If it doesn't i'll post a pic of the controls. Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner

:) It's OK, that's what we're here for . . . Good luck.