mpg for my 99 350 yukon

ezbtr

Commander
well, Im watchin the go pedal and averaging 15.2 mpg or so, city and hiway, bet I can get 17-18 on long flat drive? paying attn to what routes I take to and from work, store, sons school etc, evem throwing in neutral on downhills, although am looking at getting commuter Toyota or Mazda truck or car(4 cyl stick), had to donate VW Golf(got for $650) but after vandals broke in messed up ignition, dash, electrical, was too much to fix although I did get it to approx 30 mpg and a good runner at barely 96K and $300 in parts(cooling system) before - anyone else figure out cost of -$1000 commuter vs gas, insurance etc? Course they not as safe with airbags etc.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: mpg for my 99 350 yukon

well, Im watchin the go pedal and averaging 15.2 mpg or so, city and hiway, bet I can get 17-18 on long flat drive? paying attn to what routes I take to and from work, store, sons school etc, evem throwing in neutral on downhills, although am looking at getting commuter Toyota or Mazda truck or car(4 cyl stick), had to donate VW Golf(got for $650) but after vandals broke in messed up ignition, dash, electrical, was too much to fix although I did get it to approx 30 mpg and a good runner at barely 96K and $300 in parts(cooling system) before - anyone else figure out cost of -$1000 commuter vs gas, insurance etc? Course they not as safe with airbags etc.....

I am confused...Is this a question or a statement?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How much $$$ are you spending just driving (not towing or hauling)?

Figure the cost of an economical beater and insurance then look at your money costs.

I am driving a new car and with the cost of insurance, car payment and gas it is still cheaper than a SUV.

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was making a long commute (90 or so miles each way), I crunched the numbers and discovered that it was actually cheaper to buy and insure a relatively comfortable car (2001 Buick Regal GS) to make the drive (and keep the tow vehicle) than to just drive the towbeast. My van gets about 15mpg on a good day downhill, and the Buick gets between 26 and 28 mpg on the long trip I had.

The calculations were made before gas hit 3.00/gal, so the numbers now would be even more favorable for the car. Most people don't drive that insane distance, so you may not have the same results. I spent $7k on the car instead of going with a beater that I'd have to work on all the time.

We've moved since then, so now that I'm driving 4 miles each way to work, I really don't care how much gas costs. And, we're looking at selling the Buick because we don't need three cars!

Moral of the story, check to see how much it would cost for insurance, car payment (if applicable), registration, maintenance (oil changes and tires and such), and see how big of a difference you see. There are a lot of little expenses you don't think about until you bite the bullet and buy that extra car. You may or may not be pleasantly surprised! Good luck with whatever you do!

-Carl

ezbtr

Commander

Im thinkin a small 4 cyl truck or car for around $1000 that gets 25mpg +, workin the numbers/ins., registration etc for now :), quite a fw out there and I can do non major fixes too.

ndemge

Commander

I have a 70 mile roundtrip commute...

Found a 3cyl 5spd Geo Metro for $2,900 (500 over blue book) last year.... glad I got it then! They are going as much as $2k over BB now.

How you drive is so much.

If I push it hard, speed in the left lane, brake hard, accelrate hard... 32mpg

Drive Normal=speedl limit* easy accel, 42-44mpg

Hypermile=49.9mpg (neutral key off coasting, etc) Did this 1 tank to see what I could get

I hang out in the right lane now... A year ago, 65mph would get your run over in the right.... now 50-55 is the average right lane speed with pleanty of company. A lot of people are realizing just how much speed cost $.

At $3 gallon, I was looking at about a 2 year payoff from the 22mpg van I was driving before. (that had to be replaced either way)

I log every tank, it helps me be mindfull of how I'm driving.

gss036

Commander

I see this AM here that gas has dropped, yeh!! dropped 2-3 cents a gallon. About time. You can buy a lot of gas for 3K.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hypermile techniques are very good for improving the mpg in just about any vehicle. I don't agree with some of them but, most are sound advice.

Gassavers.org
cleanmpg.com <<<----- good hypermiler write ups

Look at those sites.