Part numbers needed for shift actuator 70hp

strommer

Recruit
I was told that if I get the shift linkage from an earlier year than my motor (it is a 1977) then I could fix the issue with my controls being in reverse after changing the bottom end. Can someone give me a list of part numbers that I would need to buy or a contact for someone who would have them used. I did find out that the 1975 parts look and have different mounting for the cables in the powerhead. I have visited numerous marinas and cannot get anyone to help me answer this dilemma.
Next time it will be buyer beware.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Attachments

• shift linkage 1975 001.jpg
    shift linkage 1975 001.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

strommer

Recruit
Re: Part numbers needed for shift actuator 70hp

Thanks. I did compare the two years and have found the parts which are not similar. I will swap these and let you know if it worked. If not, I may as well buy a used newer motor as they are not that much more than bottom ends.

tashasdaddy

you are correct. you can always part out the existing. i get more in return parting out than selling complete. sell the lower, then try the power head as a whole.

strommer

Recruit

I did find the parts breakdown showing the differences between the 75 and 77 shift linkages. Purchased all the parts on e-bay for $40.00, swapped them in the motor which took about an hour and now the boat works great.
Thanks for all your help and if anyone needs to know exactly which parts to look for, they can message me.
Strommer

tashasdaddy

congrats, glad you got it worked out.