re-hub prop

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got a prop to re-hub. Never done it before and would like to know the technique. Is there anymore to it other than just pressing out the old and pressing in the new? I'm quite sure I've got all the equipment but have never seen it done before. I can't see where it would be a serious problem to do.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: re-hub prop

It's not too difficult. Pressing out the old hub is easy because it is worn already and you don't care about destroying the rubber. If it not completely torn apart, you may be able to salvage it using rubber cement or RTV silicone. Don't hold high hopes though. Personally, I just figure that since I am doing it myself, I will experiment and see what happens--might get lucky, might not. Either way, no harm, no foul. Worst that can happen is I need to put in a new hub, and that was in the program anyway. 'Smatter of fact, I have made new rubber biscuits using proper thickness high durometer sheet rubber glued to the bronze hub with industrial rubber adhesive. Worked on a 10 inch prop.

Pressing in the new hub takes a little more care. As I understand it, prop shops have a jig that compresses the rubber donut as it enters the prop. Without the jig, the rubber is going to want to compress and get fatter as you press it, making it more difficult to push in.

I have never used the jig though and have had good luck. I slather the rubber and the inside of the prop with RTV silicone since it acts like lubricant and will also set up inside the prop. Then I just press in the hub. Depending on your prop, you may need to be careful not to press it in too far. This will keep the prop from contacting the gearcase. However, on props that use a thrust washer, you need to press it in far enough to clear the thrust washer.

Bottom line: Look at the old hub to see where it is positioned. If you have a spare prop, better to check position on that one. Enjoy!

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm taking one to the prop shop Satuday for a re-hub. $24 bucks, can't go wrong for that price. A new one is about a $100. Said it would take about 30 minutes.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info Frank. I may try it. I'd rather take it to the prop shop but that's a 2 hour drive away. The only one I've found will cost me $140 since no one else stocks the prop anymore I'll probably have to pay the price. The old prop is a bit dinged up and I like the old boat or I'd just junk the whole thing. But the guy selling doesn't take paypal...so I've gotta drive about 15 miles to the post office just for a money order... by the time I get the thing summer will probably be over. Not sure if I can get a new hub bushing or not. My wholesaler's catalog is just too hard to figger out! Someone told me I would have to have a "funnel" to do it. I'd love it if someone would tell me what hub kit I need to buy so I can try it... 1983 bayliner capri, aq125/270 outdrive, 14x19 prop, #814633, 4" hub, 4.7015 shaft.