Hooking up 2 gas tanks to one motor?

lil' turkey

Cadet
I have a 16 ft seanymph with a 1976 4cyl 50hp merc. I have 2 6 gallon gas tanks. Can I hook them both to the motor at the same time using a "T" connector? If so would I need 2 primer bulbs before the "T" for each tank, or one bulb after the "T". I am just curious if this would work or not, as I have modified the boat and the tanks are kind of tough to get to while in the water. I still could get to them but I am just trying to make it convenient for myself. Thanks

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hooking up 2 gas tanks to one motor?

you should be able to do this, but your going to need a cutoff for each tank so that you could shut one off if need be. if for some reason fuel is pulled faster from one tank and that tank runs out, the fuel pump will just draw the air out of the empty tank if its not shut off. I would install a shutoff to each tank and then run them one at a time. with this setup you would only need one priming bulb.

a three way valve would work good: http://www.iboats.com/Moeller_Three...6143494--**********.786736284--view_id.391858

lil' turkey

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. On that tak selector, you just turn the top piece?? I have never seen one of these.

Thanks

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea. 1 side of the valve to each tank. the front goes to the motor. then turn the knob to select the tank you want to use. if the tanks are hard to get to, you can mount the valve so that its a little easier to reach.