Newbie Flooring Question

dh4winn79

Cadet
First I just want to say that this site is the best.:D I find myself checking it everyday looking at all the wonderful projects. I get so excited when I see all the modifications. I just hope that I can do a good job with all of my ideas.

Well I am new to boating and boat building/restoration. I recieved a 1979 4 Winns Marquise 150 (14' 6") O/B as a gift from my father-in-law. That said I don't know what has been done or what hasn't been done, for that matter. He got in trade from a tow company. I started ripping out the interior, it all needs to be replaced. The floor itself seems to be pretty solid except for one spot (see picture). And that one spot feels like it is just the thickness or the fiberglass when you step on it (in other words it doesn't feel like there isn't any wood underneath the fiberglass) So the question is how can I tell if it needs to be replaced or should I just replace it to be safe?:confused:

floor.jpg

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newbie Flooring Question

I am not a pro by any means like other good Iboaters on the site but by experience I can tell you you probably have rot under the deck !:(

I would cut out a section of the floor and have a look down there and check the stringers for rot.

That's how mine started out and I ended up doing a full restore !!
I am almost done now..

Keep us posted

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

99.9% sure your going to have to replace the whole floor. Once you get in there look at the stringers and see if they have rotted too. You also need to check the transom for rot or saturated wood. You can search some old posts and figure out how to do all of these things... best of luck!

dh4winn79

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I have been reading a lot of the resotation threads and have a pretty good idea of how to replace things I just am not sure what to look for in rot. I thought I would need to replace the floor. I was looking at it last night and I am going to have to remove the deck just to get the floor up. Should be fun :).

I don't know if this makes me weird or not, but I am actually looking forward to redoing the boat.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does become quite fun actually in a self torture kinda way !!:D

elpirata76

Cadet

Lots of fun but make sure you wear protective gear when working with fiberglass. Lots of itch if you dont:(