cleaning oil off of concrete?***UPDATE***

WizeOne

Commander
I've had a drain plug that has been dripping, for some time, on the concrete drive. The skim coat of the concrete is long gone so it is quite porous.

I have applied Gunk engine cleaner and pressure washed it and it is hardly diminished.

Any ideas on how to make it disappear?

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: cleaning oil off of concrete?

try some straight dawn dish soap,put it on the stain and let it set for awhile

woosterken

Big Sarge

Seaman Apprentice

accrylic acid

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

muriatic acid

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Clay cat litter. After you have used concrete cleaners such as dawn or acid...... sprinkle about a 1/2" of cat litter on the stain and grind it in wearing slat bottom shoes. Get real mean and grind it hard in a twisting motion. You might have to do that a few times but the stain will just about vanish. Sweep up the litter.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always use SUPER CLEAN. It works great! You can get it at any hardware store and comes in a purple 1gal bottle.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Get the concrete a little wet, then sprinkle Tide or other laundry detergent over the oil spot. Work it in with a stiff broom, let it sit, work it some more, let it sit, ... rinse it off. Repeat a couple times if necessary.

That should take almost all of it out, then you can try some of the other methods already noted to remove the remaining stain.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil-Dri... I keep a couple bags in my shop at all times. I get it at the auto parts store. 8 or 10 dollars for a 40lb bag. Looks like cat litter but its made to clean up oil spills on concrete. I usually cover the spot and let it sit for a few days b/f sweeping it up...

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_7012.asp?desc=Oil-Dri®

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a landlord I have to remove oil from concrete quite often. Every month or so.This is how I do it successfuly.

Supplies:
Scoopable kitty litter. The small size pieces work better than regular litter
1 gal cheap paint thinner.
Stiff brush.
Coffee can.
Bucket or box to hold dirty litter

Procedure:
Using coffee can pour a rim of kitty litter around the area leaving about 4 inches between the stain and litter. The thinner will spread the oil especialy if the cocrete is on a slope.
Pour some thinner on the stain and work it in with the brush.
The thinner wil start to lift out the oil.
When no more oil seems to be comming up use the coffee can to cover the whole area with litter.
Let the litter sit until the thinner evaporates then pick it up and save it for later use.
I usually have to repeat this 3 or 4 times but I've always had great results.
If you let the thinner dry you can use it several times becase it looks like hell there realy isn't much oil in the concrete.

bhammer

Ensign

I have had great success with TSP and can be found at your local depot store. I use it full strength and let it sit for a while and then scrub with a brush.

Shizzy

Ensign

Clay cat litter. After you have used concrete cleaners such as dawn or acid...... sprinkle about a 1/2" of cat litter on the stain and grind it in wearing slat bottom shoes. Get real mean and grind it hard in a twisting motion. You might have to do that a few times but the stain will just about vanish. Sweep up the litter.
thats how I do it. helps to let it sit for a day or so.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

The key is to get the oil in suspension and then draw it out with the kitty litter.

WizeOne

Commander

The long brewing oil stain is now merely a shadow. Probably a variation of the kitty litter remedy but I picked up a sqeeze bottle of "Pour-N-Restore" concrete oil remover.

It is a cream that you spread over the stain and let dry. You then sweep up the dried residue. It starts out stark white but is very grey once it has sucked up the oil.

I applied it twice and as stated above, you have to look twice to see where it was. I still think I will give it a shot of muratic acid as soon as I can find my bottle of it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: cleaning oil off of concrete?***UPDATE***

Muriatic acid EATS cement! Works great for removing mortar from windows after masonry work. If you use it on your driveway, use it sparingly...

gss036

Commander

There is a product out called OIL EATER and I have a sample bottle sitting here in front of me. It says it disolves grease spots on driveways and on concrete. No acids or abrasives in it. www.kalkointl.com 1-800-528-0334

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

epoxy paint. preferably black and white checkerboard pattern.

Hey just a thought.

mthieme

Captain

Trot down to your local gas station (or parts store). They use a really nasty powdered lye to clean the floors every single day. Guaranteed to take care of your little puddle.
:)