evinrude trouble

Mike May

Recruit
Hey guys, new to the forums. Just purchased a 15' runabout, and it has a nice 55hp evinrude on it. 50% of the time it runs perfect, throttles up great and everything. the other 50%, when i open it up it only speeds as if at 1/4 throttle, and you can feel the engine pulsing like a car running out of gas. So, fuel flow problem right? but why would it work 50% of the time perfectly? I put on a new fuel line, thinking the bulb may be shot, but that didn't do it. Also, the bulb doesn't really feel as firm as it should be all the time. Is that cause it is one from fleetfarm, or something else going on? thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: evinrude trouble

is the vent open on the tank. bulb does not stay hard. it softens up some when the fuel pump starts pumping.

Mike May

Recruit

there is no vent on the tank. It's an older one, with just the output for the hose, the float that reads how full it is, and the cap to fill. It must be an auto vent cap or something

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pump the primer bulb. Does this pick it back up again? What about spraying pre mixed fuel into the carb throat? Choking it?

Mike May

Recruit

no pumping the bulb doesn't do it, and it is an auto choke ignition, so you push in the key when you turn it to start it to choke it. As for venting, it is the stock cap on there. There is no vent built into it. I know it needs to vent, and it must be cause the stock design was able to, even though the vent is not plainly visible. What do you guys think?