Calling all Win XP gurus! Picture resizing?

WizeOne

Commander
On my PC, when I right click on a JPEG file, one of the imbedded options is to 'resize pictures'.

On Mrs WO's laptop, that option does not exist. IMHO it is an absolute necessity when you want to email a picture. Her camera takes 2+k pictures and when you attach a portrait picture it looks like you are doing a close up inspection for hair lice or nits.

Why would hers not have the option and where might I find it. Windows Picture and fax viewer is her default viewer.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Calling all Win XP gurus! Picture resizing?

I right click on the picture and then click on the edit. That opens the pic up in "Paint". On paint, I click on "Image". A window with opens, there I click on Stretch/Skew. This opens a window that lets you resize.

WizeOne

Commander

I right click on the picture and then click on the edit. That opens the pic up in "Paint". On paint, I click on "Image". A window with opens, there I click on Stretch/Skew. This opens a window that lets you resize.

Yeah xxx, I know that option but what I am trying to find for the wifes laptop is so much easier. When you hit the 'resize picture' option in 'properties it opens up a little box with 4 picture size options. You simply choose one and it makes another copy and so notes it. Then you just attach the resized picture to your email. You do not have to fuss with an entire program

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A few options....

Picasa for storing photos on the pc will give you a resize option for email or export..... very user friendly and free.

OR

There are many jpg re-sizers available for free on the net.

WizeOne

Commander

A few options....

Picasa for storing photos on the pc will give you a resize option for email or export..... very user friendly and free.

OR

There are many jpg re-sizers available for free on the net.

Thanks Bob, I am aware of those options but I want the Windows version. I have just constructed a logical folder for the Mrs to store, catagorize and easily add and find pictures along the way. It is also a folder that is easily backed up on our new 1TB My Book USB external harddrive.

The windows resizer is very quick and easy to use.

Pony

Rear Admiral

That powertoy is GREAT. I have been using it for image hosting purposes for awhile now. Its very convienient and fast!

i386

Captain

Thanks Bob, I am aware of those options but I want the Windows version. I have just constructed a logical folder for the Mrs to store, catagorize and easily add and find pictures along the way. It is also a folder that is easily backed up on our new 1TB My Book USB external harddrive.

The windows resizer is very quick and easy to use.

Just my $.02...

I suggest you at least try Picasa. IMO you will never be able to create your own organizational system that's as comprehensive as Picasa's. Yes, it's got some nice editing features, but being able to organize thousands upon thousands of images is where it really shines.

I am "old school". I'm a firm believer that knowing how to organize your files and folders is a fundamental and important skill. I commend anyone on their efforts to know where their data lives and keep it organized.

But now we're in an age where we have to keep up with literally thousands of image and music files. Unfortunately, our old shool organizational conventions just don't scale well. Using systems designed for this purpose helps us query our collections of files in more ways than we can by simply keeping a certain directory structure. It's a powerful tool in a friendly package.

You can also keep your current directory structure in tact. Picasa doesn't care how you store your files. So you can still maintain your current structure if you want. It's just that Picasa doesn't rely on that structure to work. My point is you don't have to undo what you've done to evaluate Picasa. You can try it, organize pics in it, and then uninstall it. Your pictures will stay in the same place. It's one of the most amazing pieces of software I've ever used.

Coors

Captain

free faststone image viewer.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just my $.02...

I suggest you at least try Picasa. IMO you will never be able to create your own organizational system that's as comprehensive as Picasa's. Yes, it's got some nice editing features, but being able to organize thousands upon thousands of images is where it really shines.

I am "old school". I'm a firm believer that knowing how to organize your files and folders is a fundamental and important skill. I commend anyone on their efforts to know where their data lives and keep it organized.

But now we're in an age where we have to keep up with literally thousands of image and music files. Unfortunately, our old shool organizational conventions just don't scale well. Using systems designed for this purpose helps us query our collections of files in more ways than we can by simply keeping a certain directory structure. It's a powerful tool in a friendly package.

You can also keep your current directory structure in tact. Picasa doesn't care how you store your files. So you can still maintain your current structure if you want. It's just that Picasa doesn't rely on that structure to work. My point is you don't have to undo what you've done to evaluate Picasa. You can try it, organize pics in it, and then uninstall it. Your pictures will stay in the same place. It's one of the most amazing pieces of software I've ever used.

Ah..the good days...a command prompt. No searching for hidden files...or windoze telling you where and how to store your files...and which files you are allowed to access over a network...man I miss those days.

Ian

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Yep joed, that's the real McCoy. Thanks!

A must have for sure.

By far the most user friendly an easiest to use.

Resize to any dimension you want by right clicking one or 50 pictures at a time and it also keeps the original picture file intact and creates copy to your liking.

Glad you found it!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just a suggestion in regard to using external hard drives as a backup medium - shut the drive down and disconnect the USB cable to it, after you backup. I now have a WD Mybook with thousands of inaccessable photos on it, because it was "fried" via my editing computer, after my house was hit by lightening. About the only thing it "mirrors" now, is the inaccessable HD in that very same editing computer bacause, you see, it was fried too.