? about '50's Evinrude 7.5

WATERTIMES

Seaman
I have a opportunity to get my hands on a 50's 7.5 motor.The old man wants $75 for it it's been stored correctly but hasn't been run for 3 yrs. He's not sure of the exact yr., the only things he could tell me over the phone was it's in pretty good shape,has twist throttle, and ran without any problems since he's owned it.He said his back is thrown out and doesn't intend on using the boat and motor anymore,and is just selling it all. So are these motors reputable , reliable, and worth the investment??

wbeaton

Commander
Re: ? about '50's Evinrude 7.5

Motor is an Evinrude Fleetwin built between 1954-58. Good motor. Good price. All tune-up parts are readily available.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

These can be excellent running engines. If you buy it, you will probably have to clean, and put in a carb kit from sitting so long. Try to run the engine first in a trash can, that will tell what you may need to put it back in condition.Make sure you get the gas tank with it, as these are double line. These were very basic engines, and parts are readilly avaiable. If the engine is sound, it is well worth $75.00. Make sure also that you run this engine at 25-1 oil mix. I have this engine in a 1955 model, as a trolling, or fishing motor, it's as good as anything out there today in it's size range.

WATERTIMES

Seaman

It comes with the tank & a manual. What would the going price run for one of these as a good runner? Should I try runing it right off the bat?He said he's the second owner of it and he got it from the original owner which is also an old timer.So I should go for it?

wbeaton

Commander

Yes, buy it. Up to $250 for a good running original in nice condition with tank. However, a complete tune-up and gearcase reseal will cost about $200 in parts alone.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Price a new 7.5 of any make, and see what $250.00 looks like. I would'nt sell mine, simply from the enjoyment I get from it. It's fun to go to a public ramp, and seeing people nudging each other, "will that thing start".

WATERTIMES

Seaman

Well .....I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's impecable condition ! I gotta figure out this camera loading thing so I can show off my "new" old motor.
Heres the model #R12A - Serial # 511619. The old man swore he never had to put a dime into it other than fuel,he thinks it should fire right up,he stored it as called for by Evinrude. I got the original owners manual,and the tank is also in impecable condition. He's also got a antique Evinrude 1-1/2 hp he's getting ready to sell, he sounded like it was worth alot of $ so I didn't ask,it was all metal and also in impecable condition.
I was looking under the hood reading the starting intructions and fuel mixing on it and it says to mix regular 30 weight automotive oil with gas ?? Exactly who can fill me on the skinny with fuel mixing and anything else I'm gonna need with this motor info. Thank you in advance.

wbeaton

Commander

Double check your model and serial number. Neither makes sense. If its a 1950's twistgrip throttle it should have a model number from 7514 to 7525.

You will need a new impeller. Also check the coils. If they are original they will need to be replaced. Go to the following website and read how to tune-up and 5.5 hp, which is basically the same as your motor.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/

Fuel mix is 24:1 using TC-W3 outboard motor oil to 87 octane gas. Of course, everything is subject to change if your motor is not a 1950's Fleetwin. If you can post a photo or describe the cowl colours and emblems we can tell you what year it is.

WATERTIMES

Seaman

Heres the #s I wrote down myself , I took the other ones out of the book
that was hand written.
7518-01411.

jbjennings

Captain

Dang,
I didn't catch this thread fast enough. Don't buy that piece of junk! What is that guy's address, BTW??;) You should ask him what he wants for that 1.5hp. Heck if he only wanted 75 for his fleetwin, you might have gotten a good deal on it. I would love to have one of those truly "oldies" just for fun.

You'll like your fleetwin, but be sure not to have too much fun with it and decide to buy a sportwin or a fastwin---you'll wind up catching the "oldomc" bug and die a pennyless pauper.

Reputable? Reliable? Worth the investment???
Heck, that's a very good description of a 50's johnson or evinrude in decent condition! You got an excellent deal for a tank, motor, and MANUAL too!!!!
Congratulations!
JBJ

WATERTIMES

Seaman

Thank you for the feeling of being assured of my purchase.
Do you know of the year for this though ? I want to get the impeller so I can start her up.:D #7518-01411

wbeaton

Commander

Its a 1955. All tune-up parts are the same as the 1956.

WATERTIMES

Seaman

Okay , I don't know who's gonna believe this or not but here it goes.....
after cleaning the tank screen & tube out from gunk, the motor started on the 2nd pull !!!!!!!!!!!:D How cool is that ! The tell tale is pumping a good
strong spray and all seems well so far. The motor is runing very smooth,shifts smooth in all gears and runs like a DREAM !! I can't believe it myself,it's too good to be true!!! I am soooo glad you guys talked me into purchasing this truly AWESOME motor ! THANK YOU ,THANK YOU ALL !!!!!! If you could see the smile on my face right now.This old man was true to his word in every way.

wbeaton

Commander

Congratulations, that's great to hear. Now change the impeller and make sure to replace the cork gasket and o-ring that sit on top of the driveshaft while you have it apart.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Well! I don't know if I would of went $75.00, but you seem to come out alright. Joking aside, price a new 7.5 that would compare

WATERTIMES

Seaman

My parts guy won't have the impeller kit until Monday, he's all out of impeller kits for those units and has them on order. About how long should this take to do , and how involved is this job? Would it be safe for me to take on the lake before hand ??

wbeaton

Commander

The first time shouldn't take more than 45-60 mins. Each time after that 15-20 mins. You have to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift linkage. Follow the procedure at Tom's site for the 5.5 hp. Its the same lower unit.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/

The lower crankcase seal sits on top of the driveshaft and the o-ring and cork gasket should be replaced whenever you do the impeller. The parts numbers are BRP 303355 (cork gasket) and BRP 303347 (o-ring). They are shown in the attached image as 1 and 3.

Attachments

• Lower crankcase seal.JPG
    Lower crankcase seal.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

WATERTIMES

Seaman

wbeaton, thank you so much for your help, I do welcome your knowlege
to guide me through this. I did have one question you didn't answer{perhaps overlooked} is it going to be okay for me to take on the lake before I can get the parts on Monday?ust for like 2-3 hrs the most ? I will be paying much attention on the tell-tale for the time on the water.

jbjennings

Captain

Congrats again! Those old folks will treat you right, eh???
Definitely $75 worth of fun!!! :p
JBJ

wbeaton

Commander

is it going to be okay for me to take on the lake before I can get the parts on Monday?ust for like 2-3 hrs the most ? I will be paying much attention on the tell-tale for the time on the water.

That's up to you. You know it pumps water, but you don't know if or when the pump will fail. If it fails while you are underway, a piece of the impeller may lodge deep inside the motor's cooling passages, which will be a pain to remove and may cause an overheat that may harm your engine. Or, nothing will happen and you will be fine. I'll leave it up to you.